VA muzzleloader hunt/ CVA paramount htr after action report.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darktimber

Reaction score
So, I got my paramount and managed 4 range trips to get some good DOPE and practice with it a bit, firing a total of about 60 shots from 100-400yds.

Last week my father, uncle and I made the ~6hr. Drive down to VA for the muzzleloader opener at our hunt club. Day one I was in a round bale blind we set up overlooking a pasture and oak bottom. I looked out at first light and saw this buck heading to bed with a doe at 289yds. Dialed 6.5 moa and let him Have it. Hit him slightly high and dropped him with a CNS hit and the bullet/ bone fragments shredded the lungs, he was dead by the time I got to him.

The week went on from there and I saw plenty of smaller bucks But no shooters. Then the evening of day 5 I was in a tree stand on the edge of a 1 year old cut over and this buck came cruising by. Shot him quartering to at ~80yds. Through the front shoulder and out the ribs on the other side. He never took a step.
Overall I’m happy with the gun and bullet combo and it did what I bought it to do, which was extend my range to 300 yds. But more importantly put massive amounts of energy in the deer and put them down quickly so they can’t get into the thick stuff and get away.

Attachments

• 7AFBCFD8-3CAE-40DE-BBB2-33DF3F4A1032.jpeg
    7AFBCFD8-3CAE-40DE-BBB2-33DF3F4A1032.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 41
  • ACAC9505-0961-495F-8210-C11AAED3EE63.jpeg
    ACAC9505-0961-495F-8210-C11AAED3EE63.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 39
It’s always good to get one on the ground or two, congrats :lewis:

Man those are two nice VA deer! I hunted here in VA a good bit last week, only saw 1 buck total in probably 22 hrs of stand time over 5 days. Very very slow for this time of year here, not sure what's going on. Glad someone is on em! :lewis:

Nice deer, good for you! Just curious what county in Va were you hunting?

Good for you! Excellent! You’re describing me and what I want to do with my Paramount in Wisconsin.

yeah we have had some bad experiences the last few years with deer that most likely dies but we’re never recovered so I decided to get a big gun to anchor them lol some of the underbrush down there is just completely impenetrable

Oh you’re right, sorry. I was shooting the 285gr. .45 powerbelt elr this year

mostly because the guns were so delayed I only got the gun 2 or 3 weeks before muzzleloader season. I didn’t want to have to try to figure sizing or knurling bullets on top of everything else.

I do want to try some of the different bullets out there though to see if I can get even better accuracy out of the gun, but the powerbelt seemed to do a nice job as far as terminal performance is concerned.

Latest posts

Back