Vent linners

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt you’d see any difference in .028 vs .030

I’m using .030, .035 and .040 bushings and can’t discern any difference in reasonable temps. Maybe a little more back pressure with the .040”. And…small grain powders like N120 will fall right through a .040 bushing.
Good info
As usual sir!

I have my Knight 45 sml and the breech plug was from bestill(Jeff Fisk) and my new Omega sml 45 barrel is from Mark Woodsman.When I get back from my elk hunt in Colorado I want to get a couple extra vent liners for both of them.I don,t shoot enough to burn out one but it will be nice to have a couple extra.That is why I asked if there were universal.

I think we are talking about bushings and vent liners.

Jim, your plugs probably have bushings? I believe they (bushings) are (probably) all interchangeable.

Yes you are right.I just tore down both muzzleloaders and they do have the bushings in them.What I was thinking of is the Knight Mountaineer in 45 cal 1;20 twist barrel that Pete Vogel from ssk built for me for his thanks for me serving in the Marines.It has one of their plugs and it has the screw out vent liner in it.Been awhile since I have had any of them out.So I will get a couple of liners for The Mountaineer and check on the bushings later.I still have not shot the Omega or the Mountaineer.

Are all vent liners the same?Will they fit specific breech plugs or interchange?

'Savage type' vent liners are 10-32 thread, 82 degree head. Savage made flat head, the ones we sell are domed (to get more purchase on them with an allen wrench). Most breech plugs follow the savage type, but some have diverged from it.

A while back guys were making 90 degree countersink breech plugs, then putting savage type vent liners in... then blowing the heads off the threaded shaft as they didn't seat properly or didn't include the proper thread relief.

This is an area where small details count... like thread reliefs and proper seats, metallurgy, location and profile of the small hole, and the hole size.

So no, all vent liners are not the same, and even amongst the 'savage type' there are variations.

'Savage type' vent liners are 10-32 thread, 82 degree head. Savage made flat head, the ones we sell are domed (to get more purchase on them with an allen wrench). Most breech plugs follow the savage type, but some have diverged from it.

A while back guys were making 90 degree countersink breech plugs, then putting savage type vent liners in... then blowing the heads off the threaded shaft as they didn't seat properly or didn't include the proper thread relief.

This is an area where small details count... like thread reliefs and proper seats, metallurgy, location and profile of the small hole, and the hole size.

So no, all vent liners are not the same, and even amongst the 'savage type' there are variations.
Good info to have, thx. Looks like GA counter sunk the inlet side. How do you think this will affect its performance? I haven’t seen that before but it seems like it would increase flame amount getting to the powder?

Attachments

• IMG_4223.jpeg
    IMG_4223.jpeg
    722.6 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back