Vent linners

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I see in the picture is probably more of a spot drill operation before using a very fine drill...

That isn't designing in a counter sink... ie a counter sink is used to put a flat head/oval head screw in deeper, or even flush a surface. In a vent liner's case it is to increase the surface area for the head to clamp with... the breech plug is countersunk for the head of the vent liner.

As for the particulars of these experiments, I don't care to comment more: For the time and money invested, I don't understand why one wouldn't just buy some 17-4 stainless, heat treated, and carbonited vent liners from my website. Nitride is nice, but unless you have a swiss screw machine mass producing making things like vent liners (with such fine holes) by hand, on a lathe is tedious and time consuming.

The only answer I see is folks like to play. And I'm not opposed to it, I just don't have the time to play on something that I already have on the shelf, inexpensive, & verty effective.

What I see in the picture is probably more of a spot drill operation before using a very fine drill...

That isn't designing in a counter sink... ie a counter sink is used to put a flat head/oval head screw in deeper, or even flush a surface. In a vent liner's case it is to increase the surface area for the head to clamp with... the breech plug is countersunk for the head of the vent liner.

As for the particulars of these experiments, I don't care to comment more: For the time and money invested, I don't understand why one wouldn't just buy some 17-4 stainless, heat treated, and carbonited vent liners from my website. Nitride is nice, but unless you have a swiss screw machine mass producing making things like vent liners (with such fine holes) by hand, on a lathe is tedious and time consuming.

The only answer I see is folks like to play. And I'm not opposed to it, I just don't have the time to play on something that I already have on the shelf, inexpensive, & verty effective.
I just happen to have cnc capabilities.
Nothing to it. Just Push the green button.

I'm experimenting.
17-4 doesn't have any advantages over grade 8 alloy screws.
Where as nitride has 30 to 40 rc advantage in hardness and abrasion resistence of either one. Over 70 rc on the surfaces.
I had a bad experience with my vent linner growing causing problems.
I'd like to solve this more for my own purposes.
It may be a solution to a non existent problem . but I had one and i have the means to do it.
So why not??

I've done my own plugs to accept Tom's vent liners and that's as far as I wanted to play simply because those fine wire drill bits just become a waste of money without the proper tools to drill using them. I'm happy to be one of his vent liner customers. If one has the equipment at hand and knows how to use it, I don't see any harm in trying. And GA.Smokey seems to have the issue handled well.

As for Badger's plugs, I think I ordered 8 or 12, no sure any more, and originally used three in three different gun's plugs. I've since replaced 2 of those liners in guns that have had an unreal amount of use before the liners became even remotely close to creating issues just this fall. Those two guns got the first liners maybe four years ago, and I shoot alot with full powered loads, so the liners Tom sells have taken a lot of heat from me. Literally.

I guess if I had the tooling and the skill set needed I might enjoy making my own, But I don't. And I know Tom is a couple clicks away for solving any needs for liners I may have.

(for the uninitiated... I'm the Tom, Mr Tom is referring to).

And yes GA Smokey, if you are tooled to mass produce/automate, you may have a great opportunity to easily make a useful item. 7🫡

If you are starting with Grade 8, then tooling off the outer layers, you may be better served by re-heat treating, then nitriding... this is more akin to the older version Lehigh used to produce, before they switched to 17-4 (which is why what I sell is 17-4... Lehigh made them).

(for the uninitiated... I'm the Tom, Mr Tom is referring to).

And yes GA Smokey, if you are tooled to mass produce/automate, you may have a great opportunity to easily make a useful item. 7🫡

If you are starting with Grade 8, then tooling off the outer layers, you may be better served by re-heat treating, then nitriding... this is more akin to the older version Lehigh used to produce, before they switched to 17-4 (which is why what I sell is 17-4... Lehigh made them).
Hey Tom good to meet you.
At this point it's still a question on how the nitride will effect the dimensions.
I work with nitrided ammonia gas heat treatment on a daily bases.
Nitralloy can grow. B16 grows 901 inconell is stabile. Thank goodness it's hard enough to cut. Stelite 21 and 6 are stable.
The grade 8 pinged at 38rc so there about where 17-4 /ph h900 aged hardened ends up maybe a touch harder at 39rc but nothing to write home about.
I prefer to not cut 17-4 it's much more abrasive on tooling.
Where as the alloy g8 is much like cutting 4140 it's rough but the formulas are there
3000rpm and .00025/rev puts those holes in with out much issue.
Running a deep hole cycle with a .005 peck deck.
Love to chat about machine work...
Hit me up PM

Back