WA New Guy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarktar

Reaction score
Hey guys. Bought a MZ from a member on this forum (and other forums) a few months back and have been reading information on here as well as picking SabotLoaders brain. Slowly got some of the pieces I needed (power, primers, bullets, a few tools) and finally had it all together and went shooting yesterday! Had a "blast" (pun intended). Ran into a few issues after 4 or 5 shots, but I think I have root cause figured out and will maybe go back out today to shot some more. Broke the rifle down yesterday and gave it a very thorough cleaning.

A few things I have observed.... shooting open sights at 100 yards isn't terribly difficult, but the fiber optic "bead" does cover up the target, so really hard to attempt to shoot for tight groups. Just cover up the 3 inch bulleye with my sight and shoot.

I am guessing there is some sort of speed loader tool or equipment for hunting. I can imagine carrying the powder measure tool, a few bullets, a few sabots, and the primer tool and trying to quickly load up for a follow up shot. Anyone have a particular way they like to speed up this process for hunting?

Excited about MZ. Especially since they opened up a 7 day hunt right in the Elk rut in a unit I have always bow hunted. It is going to be realllllly good this fall!

Cheers,

I was with the Navy on Whidbey back in the 80's, great area.

Yes, 'speedloaders' are what you set up before the hunt, no need to measure powder in the field. The simple 'Lane's Tubes' can also be used to hold pre-measured powder charges. I carry my charged gun and some speedloaders and off I go, all set up ahead of time.

Latest posts

Back