Wad Bennefit?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JStanley

Reaction score
After much time away from muzzleloaders this past 2 yrs, I finally got to return some attention to my favorite rifle: S91 .451.

I have never used over powder wads before but have a bunch that flounder gave me a few years back, made of fiber. My load is 70gr T73f with Edmehlig's 350 gr HP Gould bullet. 100 yard shot groupings with Lyman peep sight looked identical with and without wad, with one exception: shots with wad were dead on at 100 yds and the no-wad group was 3" higher than bull. :think: Any thoughts as to why and which load is better?

While we're on the subject, I'm about to try some No Excuses 385 grain in the same rifle, with a Muzzleloader Original lubricated wad. T7, 3f.
Anybody got any pet loads or advice?

The main reason I use the wads is because I feel they act as a buffer between the lead conical and the powder and thus they cut down on leading up your barrel.
Nice to see you on here Jackie, been a long time. Glad you're still shooting that .451 I sold you.
Art

Do you have a chronograph to shoot through? I’m guessing the wad load is somewhat faster. With the faster load, your barrel isn’t as high when the bullet leaves the barrel and the shot is hitting the target lower.

Re: RE: Wad Bennefit?

JStanley said:
After much time away from muzzleloaders this past 2 yrs, I finally got to return some attention to my favorite rifle: S91 .451.

I have never used over powder wads before but have a bunch that flounder gave me a few years back, made of fiber. My load is 70gr T73f with Edmehlig's 350 gr HP Gould bullet. 100 yard shot groupings with Lyman peep sight looked identical with and without wad, with one exception: shots with wad were dead on at 100 yds and the no-wad group was 3" higher than bull. :think: Any thoughts as to why and which load is better?
I'm surprised you didn't see any poi difference I sure have and depending on load and velocity you definitely want a wad to prevent "possible" leading .

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

flounder said:
The main reason I use the wads is because I feel they act as a buffer between the lead conical and the powder and thus they cut down on leading up your barrel.
Nice to see you on here Jackie, been a long time. Glad you're still shooting that .451 I sold you.
Art

Thanks Art, nice to be back. I think the .451 was glad to see me too. :lol: BTW, where's a good source for those fiber wads? TOTW?

BuckDoeHunter said:
Do you have a chronograph to shoot through? I’m guessing the wad load is somewhat faster. With the faster load, your barrel isn’t as high when the bullet leaves the barrel and the shot is hitting the target lower.

That's an interesting thought...no chronograph available but you might be onto something. I have never seen leading occur but for sure I don't want to get it started either. This is my first season shooting T7 in the White. All previous shooting was Swiss or P.

trickyricky said:
While we're on the subject, I'm about to try some No Excuses 385 grain in the same rifle, with a Muzzleloader Original lubricated wad. T7, 3f.
Anybody got any pet loads or advice?

I've taken a few deer with that bullet using 70-80g of Swiss 3f. Very accurate and effective. A doe I took right after I got this rifle did a backflip and was DRT. 75 yd shot.

Jack, Glad to see you are still alive and doing well!! I ditto what Art said. I like using the 50cal Unlubed Felt wad for the 451. They go down just as easy and I feel they help in keeping all of the gasses from escaping. As far as helping to eliminate leading in the bbl. I think it does as it helps protect the bullet from the hot gasses?

Right now depending on which 451 White Rifle, I shoot 65-75gr of 777-3F or Swiss 3F seems to be the sweet spot with those 350gr HP Gould Bullets as well as my 465gr conicals. My youngest grandson shot his first doe with a charge of 50gr of 777-3F and she was dead right there.

Hope to see more posts from you!

Idaholewis said:
Try a Group with the Card Wads, then Try a Group with 1/8” Wool Felt. I gave up on the Hard Card Type Wads, Wool has been the CRYSTAL CLEAR winner for me with Grease Groove Bullets.

In your .451 i would use .50 Cal Wool, i Buy the 1/8” Oxyoke brand at Buffalo Arms

https://www.buffaloarms.com/50-cal-lube ... 00-rmc5000

+1 on using .50 Cal Unlubed-ox-yoke wads in your 451.

Thanks for the tip on the wool wads fellas. I’ll be purchasing some very soon.

JStanley said:
Thanks for the tip on the wool wads fellas. I’ll be purchasing some very soon.

Here is a link to another option for Wool. http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html

Buying in bulk and punching your own Wads out will save money in the Long Run, And it’s fun to do :yeah: But it does cost more up front to get started. Depending on how much a Guy shoots, it sure is easy to just buy 100 already made Wads. Buffalo Arms makes a REALLY nice Hammer Struck Wad Punch in Several sizes/calibers, Very precise.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/hammer-stru ... 60-45rifle

Back