New .54 Cal GM LRH Barrel (1:28 Twist)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I snagged up another one of these .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH Barrels (1:28 Twist), I have 2 of these now, Both were brand new unfired when i Bought them :lewis: These .54 Green Mountai LRH Barrels are SUPER Rare, Very hard to come by

I decided to set this one up strictly to hunt with, i chose a Green fiber optic bead front sight made by Marbles, The Tang Peep sight on this Rifle is a New, Old Stock TC
3bK9zc4.jpg

The Twins :)
LhV6X18.jpg

The Marbles Fiber Optic Bead front sight i chose to go with (My other .54 LRH Barrel has a Lyman 17 Series Globe front sight)
8LRQ7jR.jpg

I chose my i Bullet for the 1st test, This series of Bullets are my all time Favorites :lewis: Lubed with my Modified Bullshop NASA Lube
mbK0PE9.png

My very 1st outing with the new barrel was at 60 Yards, this is 5 Shots. I lifted my head and pulled shot #3
2g066To.jpg

On to a Ranged 100 Yards
ycs71M4.jpg

My very 1st shot was at the Bottom of my Target and a little right of center, i made an elevation adjustment and Shot again, It is the Shot covered with a Paster high and right, I made another elevation and a Windage adjustment, Then shot a 3 Shot Group, Group is under 1” inch, Plenty good For a Bead front sight. I moved it a “tick“ to the Right, This Dog is READY to Hunt:lewis:
T6mLhyx.jpg

As always very good shooting

Thank you my friend :lewis: I haven’t been on the Forums in a long time, How is your Rice 1:24 Twist .50 Cal doing? If you need help with it PM me :lewis:

Welcome back Lewis. I trust all is well with you and yours. Been praying for you. Missed your posts, and your willingness to share your hard earned knowledge. Congratulations on the second .54 caliber Green Mountain Long Range Hunter barrel. I have yet to see one for sale online, and I look frequently.

Ed Mehlig was PM'ing me with questions regarding the modified Bullshop NASA lube recipe of yours. He added the peanut oil, and thinks it's too soft. Perhaps you could PM him and give him some advice? The batch I made was without the peanut oil, and I put it away in storage until I get moved to Arkansas. As I recall, it was soft, but not as soft as Ed was describing.

It looks like I am going to order one of the Accurate Molds, #40-265I molds to use with my Optima V2 pistol in the Harvester, dark blue, Crush Rib sabots, .50 caliber, for .40 caliber bullets.

At some point in the future, I would like to have a percussion, drum & nipple, sidelock barn rifle built by Cabin Creek Muzzleloading, using a modified, down-sized, version of Colerain's 38" long, "A"-weight, .40 caliber, Early American barrel in a octagon-round pattern. It would have 0.008" deep square bottom grooves, & 5-groove rifling with a 4:1 ratio of groove width, to land width. Grooves to measure 0.20096" wide, & lands to measure 0.05024" wide. It would have Colerain's 2.125:1 ratio gain twist for a 38" long barrel. That would make for a 1:63.75" rate of twist at the breech, and a 1:30" rate of twist at the muzzle.

Such a rifle would weigh in at approximately 6.5 pounds. It would be able to shoot the #40-265I bullet for deer, hogs, & black bear. And patched 0.395" balls for all kinds of small game.

You sure designed a winner when you had Tom make that first mold for the .50 caliber rifles, #50-415I. Look at all the other molds it has spawned!!!!!

I just wish my shoulders could handle the recoil from the bigger bullets that you designed.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you could find just one more of them 54 cal LRH you’d have a “Pod” of white whales! Nice shooting. 👍🏻

Both of these .54 LRH Barrels shoot LIGHTS OUT Good :lewis:

This is through my other Barrel, Same Bullet as this Thread
Avv5B1w.jpg

And a Paper Patch Bullet i came up with, Accurate Molds #53-515P (”LIL Heartbreaker” :))
lCqmnz8.jpg

Sweet find there friend. Not to long till hunting season. Hope the smoke clears out soon. 🙏

That bullet should hammer an elk. I really miss seeing the big herds that I used to see in Eastern Washington when I lived in Greenwater, behind the Natches Tavern just outside of Mt. Rainier National Park.

Idaho, What is the height or part # of your Marble fiber optic front sight ? I also have a TC Tang Sight. I read you can use stock front sight but wanted to use for hunting in low light conditions. Thanks

I snagged up another one of these .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH Barrels (1:28 Twist), I have 2 of these now, Both were brand new unfired when i Bought them :lewis: These .54 Green Mountai LRH Barrels are SUPER Rare, Very hard to come by

I decided to set this one up strictly to hunt with, i chose a Green fiber optic bead front sight made by Marbles, The Tang Peep sight on this Rifle is a New, Old Stock TC
3bK9zc4.jpg

LhV6X18.jpg

The Marbles Fiber Optic Bead front sight i chose to go with (My other .54 LRH Barrel has a Lyman 17 Series Globe front sight)
8LRQ7jR.jpg

I chose my i Bullet for the 1st test, This series of Bullets are my all time Favorites :lewis: Lubed with my Modified Bullshop NASA Lube
mbK0PE9.png

My very 1st outing with the new barrel was at 60 Yards, this is 5 Shots. I lifted my head and pulled shot #3
2g066To.jpg

On to a Ranged 100 Yards
ycs71M4.jpg

My very 1st shot was at the Bottom of my Target and a little right of center, i made an elevation adjustment and Shot again, It is the Shot covered with a Paster high and right, I made another elevation and a Windage adjustment, Then shot a 3 Shot Group, Group is under 1” inch, Plenty good For a Bead front sight. I moved it a “tick“ to the Right, This Dog is READY to Hunt:lewis:
T6mLhyx.jpg

3bK9zc4.jpg

LhV6X18.jpg

8LRQ7jR.jpg

mbK0PE9.png

2g066To.jpg

On to a Ranged 100 Yards
ycs71M4.jpg

T6mLhyx.jpg
Idaho, What is the height or part # of your Marble fiber optic front sight ? I also have a TC Tang Sight. I read you can use stock front sight but wanted to use for hunting in low light conditions. Thanks

Back