Walking with Giants

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
I was looking through my pics this evening and ran across these, This was last winter, That far ridge in the Fog is where my 500 yard target was hung back when I shot it with my TC Hawken, Green Mountain 1:30 Twist LRH .45 Cal Barrel and Paper Patch bullets. This place has been blocked off due to Vandal/Dumping trash, Last year I seen a newer Chevy Truck back in this Old Logging cut that had been Set on fire and Burned down, i am close friends with the Sergeant of the Sherrifs Dept, Come to find out the Truck had been Stolen From Wa State. 
         I walked in here last year and Cut this Moose track back in the Foggy area at the Base of the Ridge, When i first moved here 8 years ago we Had lots of Moose, i seen them almost daily if i were in the Mountains, i have seen 20 or more Moose in 1 single Day here, Now days you are lucky to see 2-3 Moose in an entire year. It’s a Sad deal To witness such an Abundance of a BIG game Species become nearly extinct.

This was just after first light
XzZWQ7Fl.jpg

I wear a Size 12 Boot, This was probably a Bull, Could have been a BIG Ole Cow? Kinda gives you the feeling of “Walking with Giants” They sure are a BIG Critter! Kinda Dumb, But Neat
lSljYi4l.jpg

Wolves is the biggest reason. Locals Say Over Hunted as well, I don’t know the Permit numbers? They have Resident, and Non Resident Tags on a Permit Draw “Once in a Lifetime Hunt” if you Draw and are Successful you can Never do it again in your Life. Many folks say the Permits given are WAY to Many, and it’s been going on for far to long, It is a HUGE Source of Money, The Non Residents Pay Close to 2,000 Bucks if they Draw the Permit. I personally don’t feel Hunting pressure to be the Big problem? I can tell you for 100% Sure that these Wolves are HELL on the Moose and Elk, Moose the Worst, Moose will Stand their Ground and Fight, These Wolves that were Re introduced here are HUGE killing Machines, And we have LOTS of them! Think about Idaho Giving out 6 Wolf Tags per person here, That alone tells of the Problem. Idaho F&G Know that they are a HELL of a BAD Problem and have Costed them a Fortune! Hence why they give 6 Tags to each of us, in other words they are Begging us to kill them
   BUT here is the kicker, these things aren’t like Coyotes, Try and hunt Wolf, You get 1 out of a Pack, be it Shot, or Trapped, Try and Get another from that Pack, They Become virtually impossible to Hunt. This Country is REALLY REALLY Brushy for the Most part, I can find their Sign anywhere i go on Old Logging Rds. During Archery Elk season that is all we Found, Wolves had been everywhere we went, We averaged 5-6 Miles a Day on Foot Behind old Gated Rds, Places we Have always hunted, and Seen abundant Elk, We also hunted Some new Country just to Try Different things. We did not see 1 single Elk, Nor did we hear 1 Single Bull Bugle the Entire 30 Day Archery Elk Season, UNREAL!!! This was my Last year of Elk Hunting here in Unit 1, In fact it’s VERY doubtful that i will buy another Idaho Elk Tag Period. I here that Some of our Lower units are in better Shape? I don’t know that, judt have heard so. I live and hunt in unit 1, Which is right at 2,500 Square Miles

I figured you might say wolves but didn't wanna assume.  There's always those who think a certain species is over hunted... who knows?  I've killed a couple moose here in Colorado.  They seem to be doing pretty well.  Although I'm sure there's some who would disagree with that too!  Bulls are once in a lifetime here too but cows aren't.  That's really too bad about your elk hunting.  I love elk hunting and would be really upset if it ended due to wolf reintroduction.

Back