Walmart has the FPB's!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vabowhntr

Reaction score
At $20 for 15, I will stick with the SW's and XTP's! And PB Platinums for $21, T7 for $30 per lb. Guns went up in price too.

I don't know how we will afford to shoot this year. :cry:

$14.95 for 245 grain all the way up to the 444 powerbelts for a package of 15. $15 for pyrodex P. The only thing that chaps my rear end is paying $8 for triple 7 primers.

FG-Are those Walmart prices? I have seen the prices on hunting items go up rapidly at the local Walmart and am wondering if it is a step in the process of getting out of the hunting business. They used to be much cheaper than going to the local gun shop, now the shop is cheaper on many items.

They didn't have pyrodex, except in pellet form. A box was going for $36 for 100 pellets.

VA Bwhunter

I/m thinjing your right aboiut Maomart getting out of business, Ours in London, OH took down the gun rack!

Nope, those were online prices. The place i buy only charges $4.50 shipping for the first package you buy and every package after that is only $1

Granted the price of metal has increased, but these bullet companies are crazy with some of the prices they charge. I wonder if the companies are making the money or the stores like wal mart are marking them up 100%. A lot of these smaller stores need to up their costs but you would think a chain like Wal Mart could offer better prices.

I have noticed that Wal Mart is no longer the less expensive place to make a lot of purchases. They opened a Super Wal Mart near me, and the prices actually went up on most items, and their grocery store part.. lot less at other stores.

Walmart has

I called 2 Walmart stores In northwest lower Michigan & visited a third. None carried the Hornady FPB bullet. In fact they had NO muzzleloader equipment or supplies. The clerks gave me vague answers when I asked when the supplies would be availacble. I was able to buy 15 bullets for $17.95 @ Jays Sporting goods in Gaylord, MI(the Clare store also has them).

Jay's is charging $36.95 plus tax for the BH209 also. I see that Midway has the BH209 for $29.00 but the hazmat & shipping kills you unless you can get a bunch of guys together to make a large purchase.
Incidentially, I shot 6 rounds of the Hornady .50 cal 350 gr. bullet so far. I wasn't that impressed by my groups. I shot 3 shots w/90 grs. BH209 and while I was within 2" of the Bullseye , the group was just under 3". I then shot 3 more with 100 grs. BH209 and the group was a little over 2-1/4" and again no farther tha 2" from the center mark. I ain't no sissy, but I did notice an increase in recoil when I bumped up the load. I see that Lee uses 110 & 120 grs. of BH209 w/ the same bullet. I'm concerned that if I increase my loads that much, I might be affected with flinching if I do. What do ya think, eh???
Redbird2

What do ya think, eh???

I think you don't need more than 100 grains of any powder, BH 209 included. In fact, where any conical is used, I worry about pushing them too hard. 100 grains is more than enough to kill anything up to an elk. And you may very well have the bullet stay together better and have BETTER penetration at 100 grains than 120 grains. That is a fact with bullets like powerbelts. FPB's are an unknown since they haven't been used except by gun writers.

I also think that a load/bullet that shoots a 2-1/4 inch group from an muzzleloader is a good one.

That said, you can get a SIMS recoil pad and make recoil flinching a thing of the past. I use it even at 90 to 100 grains and it makes a difference.

"I might be affected with flinching if I do. What do ya think, eh??? "

i think you are 100% correct. More powder for me = more recoil = I am going to flinch a lot more in the field because the rifle rest is not taming the recoil.

I picked up a pack fpb's at walmart 18.95, powerbelts in 245 and 295 at are at $15. all the saboted rounds are the same prices, powerbelt plats are 19.95.

I still have a good bit of 777 2f from close out from last year.

my local walmart is not even carrying pyro rs this in loose form. :evil:

Re: Walmart has

art sehnke said:
I called 2 Walmart stores In northwest lower Michigan & visited a third. None carried the Hornady FPB bullet. In fact they had NO muzzleloader equipment or supplies. The clerks gave me vague answers when I asked when the supplies would be availacble. I was able to buy 15 bullets for $17.95 @ Jays Sporting goods in Gaylord, MI(the Clare store also has them).

Jay's is charging $36.95 plus tax for the BH209 also. I see that Midway has the BH209 for $29.00 but the hazmat & shipping kills you unless you can get a bunch of guys together to make a large purchase.
Incidentially, I shot 6 rounds of the Hornady .50 cal 350 gr. bullet so far. I wasn't that impressed by my groups. I shot 3 shots w/90 grs. BH209 and while I was within 2" of the Bullseye , the group was just under 3". I then shot 3 more with 100 grs. BH209 and the group was a little over 2-1/4" and again no farther tha 2" from the center mark. I ain't no sissy, but I did notice an increase in recoil when I bumped up the load. I see that Lee uses 110 & 120 grs. of BH209 w/ the same bullet. I'm concerned that if I increase my loads that much, I might be affected with flinching if I do. What do ya think, eh???
Redbird2

I also bought mine at Jay's for $17.95, I thought someone posted that Wal*Mart was selling them for $15. I think the Western states will likely be getting them first, since their seasons start earlier. I know that WM ordered 500,000 of them and Hornady has been filling their order. I haven't seen them at any WM around here yet. WM probably thinks they have a monopoly on them for this fall and is going to charge through the nose for them.

Art,

What rifle are you shooting them out of?

I used 80 grains BH209 in one of my NEF's and got this pretty little group with the first 3 shots using the Hubbard 209 breech plug. I haven't tried them in my Knights or Whites yet, but I will. 80 grains would be enough for any deer/elk that I have ever shot. YMMV.

013-5.jpg

txhunter58
Some where back in the records of this and one of the other forums there are records of testing with ballistic jell; you might look them over, I formed my own conclusions from some testing I have done myself and those two ballistic jell tests. I believe that they were designed to operate at higher speeds even the smokeless area, and that they will work best at 1800and 1900 fps. Time will tell. Lee

Lee 9 said:
txhunter58
Some where back in the records of this and one of the other forums there are records of testing with ballistic jell; you might look them over, I formed my own conclusions from some testing I have done myself and those two ballistic jell tests. I believe that they were designed to operate at higher speeds even the smokeless area, and that they will work best at 1800and 1900 fps. Time will tell. Lee

I bet that they fragment, if you can even get them up to that speed. My testing tells me you don't want to push them. Maybe 90grains BH209 max. for elk/deer. If you hit bone trying to push them with 100+ grain charges, you are not going to be much better off than you would be with a PowerBelt IMO.

80 grains BH209 at 50 yards
015-4.jpg

017-4.jpg

I have someone sending me some FPB's to test out. I'll do the sandbucket test with 90 and 100 grains pyrodex P. And post the pictures.

Wet sand or dry sand?

Walmart has the FPB's

Busta; You asked what rifle I am using. I am shooting a CVA Kodiak Magnum, with a 26" barrel.
That group in you picture is more like what I'd like to shoot @ 100 yds. but I don't think my shooting is THAT good. I have a .300WSM. that I have gotten ocassional groups that I can cover with a nickle or a dime. But nothing like that with a ML. If I can get consistant groups of 2.5" I will be satisfied. Most of my shots will be less than 100 yards, actually more like 80 yards would be the norm. Tomorrow, I think I will try 80 grs. of the BH209 with the FPB's. I was getting good groups with 80 grs. of the BH behind 245 gr. powerbelts and some 250 gr. shockwaves/ red sabots. The black sabots that came packaged with the TC SW's were WAY too tight & didn't group that well. Anyway...80 grs. seem to be a good number with the BH209. Thank you all , gentlemen!!!

Art

Latest posts

Back