WANTED: Hunting "sparks"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty1

Reaction score
WANTED: Hunting "sparks"

Shooting, Limiting-Out, Trophy, Method and Sportsperson… the five stages of hunting. 
Most hunters were introduced to these while taking a required Hunter Safety Course.  2018 marked 50 years :affraid: of various hunting seasons for me!  This past season I startled myself by asking why for the last hour in 26 degree weather am I waiting here for a deer to come along?  That night I read :study: about the five stages again.   

As an avid hunter I’ve enjoyed all five stages of hunting, but at age 62 how does one answer the “what-now” question when it comes to hunting?  Not the easiest to answer when you’re experiencing a 50 year bank of “been-there-done-that” memories and accomplished goals.  I still have many years to hunt, and could learn from your current and lifetime hunting philosophies.  :Questuon: Perhaps there’s something :Lights: I haven’t thought about or truly considered, so I’m all ears to anyone offering me wisdom to follow in years to come. :|

Regardless of your age or what you now hunt, beyond table fare what most sparks your continued desire to hunt game :?:   

Re: WANTED: Hunting "sparks"

Marty, pick up a sidelock buddy! These old guns really bring a new meaning to hunting and the thrill you will experience. Add in the traditional clothing, the looks you get, the questions. It keeps you wanting to learn more and help others along the way.

Hunting for me is about going out in the mountains and enjoying time with family. Seeing new places, the thrill of running across game and the chance to fill the freezer. I just love going out and exploring.

I would have to echo FrontierGander's words.  I love going out and exploring, spending the time with friends and family, as well as just plain seeing animals.
I like trying to figure out the best place to hang a treestand to encounter a nice buck, or put up a blind to call in a turkey so I can get away with drawing my bow without it being spooked. 
I've found over the years I've migrated from centerfire rifles to archery and sidelocks.  They make for a more up close and personal encounter, as well as more challenging woodsman skills to get closer.
The hectic life of today's workforce and demands melt away and aren't thought of while I'm in the woods.
I've had encounters that I'll never forget that didn't even involve a game animal.  One time two pine squirrels were chasing each other around while I sat on a stump in a clearcut hoping to see an elk during early archery season.  The squirrel being chased ran right by me so close I could've reached out and touched it.  I thought that was neat...until the second squirrel jumped onto my boot, then knee, and then my shoulder as it pursued the other one.  I don't think it ever knew I wasn't just part of that stump.  Made me grin like a fool when it happened.  I've also been sitting and leaning up against a log and had chipmunks walk right by on the log.
I find that when I'm going to check my game cameras it feels like it did when I was a kid anticipating opening presents on Christmas morning.
I still find myself experimenting with different ways to use the meat.  Breakfast sausage, different jerky brines, etc., is all fun and rewarding (if I don't screw up the recipe anyway!) to me.

Geesh... where to begin?  I came to muzzleloading by way of hunting.  I'm a hunter through and through.  I'm not real interested in reenacting or dressing in old time clothes or any of that kind of stuff. I use gear designed for western big game hunting.  So I'm kind of a traditional hunter that utilizes modern "backcountry specific" hunting gear.  I bow hunt, muzzleloader hunt, and rifle hunt.  I usually hunt several species of western big game every year.  I've been blessed to have taken quite a few big game animals over the years.

I've heard the "stages of hunting" you refer too.  I'm all the above depending on the season or the animal being hunted.  From trophy hunting to meat hunting I really like it all!  I've taken some decent trophies, some that qualify for B&C and P&Y but I've never had one officially measured or entered into the books.  So I guess I'm not as trophy oriented as some?

The "spark" that keeps me going is simply my love for the mountains, and for the backcountry.  I love wildlife too wether I'm hunting them or simply observing them.  I spend a lot of time in the mountains backpacking, climbing mountains, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing... and the list goes on!  The one thing that speaks to me more than any of these activities though is hunting!

That at least scratches the surface of what makes me tick and where the "spark" comes from for me.  Good topic!

Marty, pick up a sidelock buddy! These old guns really bring a new meaning to hunting and the thrill you will experience.
^^^^ This

The desire to get out in nature. At a somewhat advanced age i still have the desire to sneak up close on deer and hogs. Killed three deer with .50 caliber patched round balls last season. Will do some more of that in October, 2019.

Learned how to sneak up on animals in southern Maryland over 50 years ago. i watched a hunter, a SEAL, i was with stalk a buck that appeared about 200 yards away. That guy started crawling through the grass with his single barrel shotgun. When the deer had it's head down he crawled, when the deer raised it's head he stopped. In about 30 minutes the hunter was 25 yards from the deer. He fired and the deer expired.

I guess I'm my own "Sparks" (not my REAL name).

-Joe

I live/love to hunt, i took hunter’s safety when i was 8 years old, i harvested a Bear and a Buck that same year, I have hunted EVERY year since. I have Killed a Deer every year i have hunted, Lot of Coastal Blacktail, Several Mule Deer, 1 that i Got in the P&Y Record Book with my Bow. I have Killed a Few Cougars and Bobcats, Lots of Bear over the Years. My first Bull Elk when i was 14-15, I have harvested at least 8 Elk. Up until the last 10 years or so i hadn’t hunted Elk much, Growing up on the Wa Coast where i did, we didn’t have Elk Close by us, I only hunted them a handful of times in 38 Years over there, The Majority of my Elk Hunting has been in the Last 8 years, since i moved here to Idaho.

Out of all the critters i have hunted, Whitetail Deer is without a Doubt my Passion. I keep working on getting a True Trophy Class Whitetail Buck, 150” or Better. I have been really close Several times but just didn’t close the deal. When Our Deer season opens i use my Scoped Centerfire, We only get 1 Deer Tag here, A lot of places that i Hunt my Shots can be a little Long 300-400 Yards, While i can make Shots like this On Paper NO PROBLEM with my Muzzleloaders, it is just to Far to Ethically Shoot at Big Game Animals with Open Sights. Sure, i could setup a Scoped inline Muzzleloader, But I Don’t see that as ANY FORM of a Challenge? In fact i get a Kick out of guy’s that feel it is Some “Great Feat” To hunt Deer & Elk with a Modern Scoped inline, Sabots, 209s in a Regular Centerfire Gun Season, The ONLY thing they have successfully done is Make a Reload more difficult, These inline Rifles are EVERY BIT as accurate, and Reliable as ANY High end Centerfire, Where is the Challenge in that??? There isn’t one!!! Pick up a Traditional Looking Muzzleloader, with Open Sights, Lead Bullet or PRB, NOW head out in Regular Centerfire Gun Season with everybody else, That i MOST DEFINITELY Respect!!!
  Until i Fulfill my Trophy Class Whitetail Dream, I will probably Continue to hunt each Deer Season with 1 of my Centerfire Rifles. When/If I fulfill that Dream, I will likely Hang my Centerfires up at that point, and Go Full Muzzleloader From then on. A Real Looking Muzzleloader that is, With Open/Peep sights, No. 11 Cap, and a Big Ol Lead Bullet that fills the Bore :D

I am old.  Along with that I` ve harvested many a buck over the years.  Don`t shoot doe by choice. 
   As time has gone by I needed a challenge.  Rifle hunting ,for me,  didn`t offer that.
     So, I got into bow hunting.  I might add, it`s more of a challenge and far more rewarding.
    So that`s it in a nut shell.   May not be for all but for me,  I`ve found what I was looking for.

I have a friend that went from modern weapons, to muzzleloaders, matchlock, bow modern and primitive then made it to Atlatl. 

Description of the Atlatl - The picture of the Atlatl helps to understand how this ancient weapon works! The first thing required was a spear to throw from the spear thrower.

atlatl-stick-thrower-1.gif
atlatl-2.jpg
Ken got the DOW in Colorado to give him a special permit (DOW Agents attended the hunt) for a mule deer on our property, they even filmed the hunt.  Never got to see that film, at the DOW (probably didn't want that to get around or who knows what someone will want to harvest game with?).  ​
By the way, Ken Wee held the "World Record for Atlatl" throwing and accuracy for many years.​

Thanks for sharing that Buck, I have never even heard of an Atlatl? I can see where a guy could get powerful with that setup! I wouldn’t want hit with one! :D

It’s been nearly a year now since I first posted this topic. I’ve thought a lot about the replies all-year long as I approached my 2019 hunting season. I would like to thank all those members who took the sincere time to offer such a diverse range of thought for me in 2019. What I’ve discovered in 2019 is there’s “no such thing as been there done that” in the hunting world.

Happy New Year to all and best of luck hunting in 2020!:)

At 73 my "spark" has cooled just a bit due to permanent physical problems. But it doesn't mean I No longer get out with my flintlock. I just don't get out as often as I used to. I really can't explore that much but I do what I can. I've hunted extensively with a dizzying array of modern rifles and revolvers. I've also hunted with several flint and percussion lock rifles and smoothbores. For 62 years in my native Georgia I hunted every chance I got. The limit on deer is 12 per season with only two bucks allowed and one of them must be 4pts to a side. I've let many bucks and does walk. Didn't matter because Ga. is crawling with deer. I can't walk walk a lot like I once did but I can still get around well. I recall so many adventures such as seeing bobcats and even killing a couple with my muzzleloader. Also coons, foxes and the bear that came up almost in my face just to say "howdy". I love the solitude and being alone with my favorite smoke pole while watching nature go about, well, being nature.

I have always hunted alone except on the very few occasions when I went with a partner. That's one reason I don't care to hunt dove, deer drives or with dogs (I love dogs, by the way). I don't want others around to spoil the serenity of the experience. I'm an "outdoors" person as well as a gun person; the two go so well together that there's no room for argument. We're beginning a new year and I pray it's filled with these opportunities for us all.

I will be 75 for the 2020 elk & deer seasons here in Colorado. Moved here from Oregon 5 years ago on the stipulation that I will archery and muzzleloader hunt. I have taken elk, deer and antelope with a centerfire and wanted to pursue a dream. I have yet to draw my bow or look down the barrel of my T/C Hawken at an animal in the 3 years of trying, but still going as long as my health holds up. Mostly because of the joy of being in the woods and mountains until I am unable to do so.

If I was still hunting in 2020 I would be 80. I still may go with my grand kids as camp cook ??? ;) :dancing chicken: They will want to use my gear and vehicle, so better plan on it to protect my investment. you know how kids will treat your stuff - they didn't pay for it !@#$% ....

I have been hunting since the age of 5, all small game down under, Dad would give me a single shot .22 and 5 rounds, for ever round expended I was expected to bring home a rabbit. I started with an old Pat 53 Enfield at the age of 12, and have stayed with muzzle loaders almost exclusively since. I find taking a rifle or smoothie is a great excuse to go for a walk in the bush, I hunt mostly on my own, love the peace and quiet. I have had an echidna come ploughing past me when I was sitting on a log with my late Fathers' little leman rifle, he just trammed past me like I was part of the stump ! I like the satisfaction of bringing a feed home for my family at the most basic level. I love our bush, lots of birdlife and our strange antidiluvian animals !

I have been hunting since the age of 5, all small game down under, Dad would give me a single shot .22 and 5 rounds, for ever round expended I was expected to bring home a rabbit. ......................

How are you and Mike doing with all the fires in the downunder? :(

I began hunting later in life than most. My father worked at least 6 days a week with many 10 hour or more days. All he could think about during his time off was resting.
During my first year at college, a buddy took me dove hunting on a rural, Pennsylvania farm. He handed me a Harrington and Richardson 20 ga, single shot shotgun and off we went. I was hooked. I bought that H&R from him about 10 years later and still have it.
After getting married, my wife and I moved to a farm/ranch outside Charlottesville, VA. We became friends with local, rural folks and my Virginia hunting began (turkey and deer). When we moved to Colorado late in 1985, I found that the scheduling for my new career kept me very busy during hunting seasons. International travel restricted my hunting at home even further. However, my yearly visits to South Africa opened up opportunities to hunt African game. The parents of several of my students owned hunting preserves.
7-12-13Ron Black Wildebeestsm.JPG
I don't want this to come out as moaning and groaning and complaining, but...I had planned extensive hunting and nature observation for my retirement. Rupturing my quadriceps tendon (twice) and an aortic valve replacement surgery with 7 1/2 hours on a heart-lung machine put a stop to my hunting plans. I set goals for when I would be able to hike again, but the time element of those goals turned out to be unrealistic. Still, I am trying. Right now, I am in a walking rehabilitation program, with visits to the rehab facility twice a week. I am very motivated and determined to walk properly again. We shall see how it comes out after the program ends in February.

Seems life can be hard and seems to have our needs backward at times. We play when we are young and then fall apart when older? I hear what your saying Ron and experience similar issues with my health (much my own fault for not listening to family). A lot of my issues now are from high speed crashes from 30 -40 years ago at different racing events (was told going fast will take its tole) it did, but at the time I enjoyed everything about speed. I'm having issues with walking and the doctors wanting to replace both knees. Knees are an issue but when you can't feel your feet with poor blood flow why bother, I'll live with what is still working.

Good Luck on the out come. :thumbs up:

Ron, that's a fine wildebeest, those things just scream AFRICA to me. I am counting on you to make a full recovery, my friend.

Back in the early 70's there was a Wild Life Farm east of Aurora CO. Poorly run and having some of the animals get loose a few times a year, don't know how many cows got breed on neighboring farms.
One day I heard on the radio on the way to work that a "lesser kudu" (Tragelaphus imberbis) antelope found in East Africa was running down I-70 going to Kansas. I wasn't but a few miles from the report, beat it over there, had a 30-06 behind the seat, the local sheriff asked me to shoot the animal. Felt sorry for doing as asked for a long time, would have felt better shooting the game farm owner.

Kudu_Male_Tragelaphus_imberbis.jpg

Latest posts

Back