Warmed The BBL on The 300 WBY

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laker

Reaction score
Took out the 300 WBY yesterday to do some shooting to practice some long range shooting. I shot 4 shots at 400 and with a left to right wind I shot a 3.75 in group :lol: . This was in prone position off a harris bipod to simulate feild conditions. The 4 shots were in a horizontal string so if I didnt have to dope the wind I think this could have easily been a sub 3 in group at 400 yards :shock: . I leave 5 weeks from today for Colorado for my ELK and MULE DEER hunt, and I am gaining confidence in this rifle every time I pull the trigger.

Great cartridge!! Were you shooting handloads or factory. Which rifle do you have chambered for that screamer?

VENISONEATR said:
Great cartridge!! Were you shooting handloads or factory. Which rifle do you have chambered for that screamer?

These were handloads I loaded myself. 180 gr Barnes Triple shock 84.5 gr of IMR 7828 FED mag primer 3228 FPS The gun is a Weatherby Accumark with a muzzlebreak. Glass is a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x50 I really like the 300 WBY round, as soon as I return from colorado and come up with some cash I am going to order a HS Precision PHR in 300 WBY.

LOVE the .300 Weatherby! What a great big game cartridge! Mine is extremely accurate. I've always used 74.0gr IMR 4350, Fed 215, and a Sierra 200gr Game King at just over 3000fps. Nothing flashy. That load has done everything I've asked of it from bear to mule deer to elk to whitetail. My Mark V stainless/synthetic is topped of with a Swarovski Pro Hunter 3-12X50 and has been that way for ten years or so. I LOVE that 60 degree Mark V action. I'd really rather have it than anything.

Good luck on your hunt!

2005rangepics%20204.jpg

I got my .300 Weatherby in a Remington Model 700 AS. I've had it for almost 15 years now and she wears a 3-9X Swarovski Habicht. It's killed moose, elk, caribou, and Mt. goat. I was always partial to 83 gr. of IMR 7828 and 180 Nosler partitions. I used it last year with some Federal factory loads to take a goat on Kodiak. If there's a chance I'll be shooting further than 250 yds. the 300 Weatherby gets the call!!

Lot's of luck on your hunt!!!

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

Helluva a body on that goat. What rotten luck breaking off both horns like that!

That's not the worst of it. After getting shot 3X with 180 NP's he dove off a cliff. You can see the results of his death leap, but what you can't tell is by the time we got him half way down the mountain it was dark. We skinned and quartered him and we caped him out for a life size mount, as I don't think a shoulder mt. does a billy justice and a taxidermist could always fix the horns. It was a very trecherous desent so prudence dictated we come back in the AM for the meat and hide. Well to make a long story even longer the last image I have in my mind of that goat is a mama brown bear streaking across the mountain with my pearly white goat cape dangling out of her mouth and her cub gleefully following. The wave of emotions that came over me was unbelieveable: exhaustion, disbelief, anger, regret, it was surreal.
I wouldn't trade the memory for anything though and it taught me multiple valuable lessons. And for sure... Man is not always the supreme predator!!!

Crying

Man nice goat, but you look like you been crying!

Sorry about the horns!

I have had better results with Sierra 180 Gamekings they tend to transfer their energy better to the sheep for quick kills.

Back