Water jug test # 2 100 yards

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlethcoe

Reaction score
Since there was some question about the Hornady Monoflex Expansion at 200 yards, I wanted to check them out at the 100 yard range to see how much more they would expand, Went to the Range at 7 am before the bugs got out and nobody else was there, set up the water jugs and my plastic back stop at the 100 yard range. I was using the MR for the test with 110 gr of BH 209.  
First up was the Hornady 452's Red sabot, went thru all 4 jugs and ended up in the 5th one as you can see.
Now thw 458's, with the MMP orange sabots, It also went thru 4 jugs and was in the bottom of the 5 jug.
Here is a pic of both bullets, the left one is the 458 and the right one is the 452. Boy they look nice.
Here is a pic of the 452 at 100 yds to the left, to the right are the 458's, 100 and 200 yard test. 
IMG_0001_zps488c9590.jpg

Here is the 452 at the bottom of the jug
IMG_0003_zps7f3aba8c.jpg

Now the 458 at the bottom of the jug
IMG_0007_zps2cdd89c6.jpg

Both bullets at 100 yard
IMG_0015_zps2ea41363.jpg

Left one is the 452 at 100 yds, the ones to the right are the 458's 100 and 200 yard test
IMG_0023_zps13d589f5.jpg
IMG_0025_zpsbfdb5ec7.jpg

Dave

Those do look nice Dave, it's amazing how well developed these bullets are and when operated within the design criteria how well they work. I will look them up in my Hornady reloading book to see what 
muzzle velocity range they are intended to be used in.

Dave, that is a great test and as we can see there is no problem with the way they expand at 100 yrds, and also at 200 yrds. They look just like a flower, and I be they still weight around 250 gr. Excellent test, and shooting.
Carlos

What my goal was, I wanted to try and see if there was another bullet that would open up like a Barnes, I feel that I have done that, (Now if they would only do a 300 gr monoflex), Both of these are great company's, and I just wanted to compare these 2 bullets, I know that there are alot of other bullets that should be compared, but what I wanted to show was, what they looked like at 100 and 200 yards, Most of us never get a chance to see the final result of what the bullet looks like after wards.

Dave

I would like to have it but shipping would probably be expensive. You did an excellent job on the tests and provided good evidence for a Barnes alternative. I have people saving jugs for me so I will carry on with a few other bullets. Thank you for taking the time to shoot and post the results.

Here is the deal. Regardless of whether you hunt at 100 yrds, or 200 yrds, the MONO FLEX will do the job. Yes it open up more at one yrds since it was going faster, but it also open up at 200 yrds, not as much but if you look at it it will also do the job. So now we have a alternative to the Barnes. That is what this test proved.
Carlos

Excellent work! Those are clean looking bullets for sure. Looks like they will do the job on deer. I'd much prefer to use these than the SST -Shockwave bullets.

Great job Dave :!: Your putting a lot of good info on the boards. Thanks for taking the time to do so. :ttups:  :ttups:  :ttups: 

Ray............ :Red tup:

According to the Hornady book the .458 250 Monoflex is designed for muzzle velocities between 1400-2500 fps. The .452 isn't listed in my book for some reason. From the other thread using Carlos' data of 2000 fps muzzle velocity, 1600 fps @, and 1313 fps @ 200 yards would explain why it opened up but didn't peel like the 100 yard test. With Ed's Gun Shops  pricing on the Monoflex it would be a good choice to hunt with.

Back