Water Streaks on 1860 Army wood grips

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
After shooting a few cylinders of Goex, tiny patches and ball from my 1860 Army, I did what I usually do - run some soapy water through the gun to remove powder and other fouling. When I get home, I do a thorough cleaning.
Some of the water from the quick rinse splashed on the grips and made streaks. I rubbed the grips with a soft cloth and an orange stain came off on the cloth. Also, the finish on the grips were dulled dramatically.

I tried some true oil on the grips to see if I could bring up a bit of a luster, but the wood remains dull. And, every time I rub the grips, the orange finish comes off on the cloth.

Any recommendations?

Thanks, guys.
Ron

Whoops!
Not patches but lubed 1/8" felt wads.
Less messy than spreading the grease on the outside.
Ron

Probably a water based stain that wasn't sealed. Strip or sand and re-stain with an oil-based stain if you can find one or stain with a water-based stain and seal with TruOil or varnish.

I've had several sixguns get wet and never had that problem.

I lightly sanded the grips, then applied TruOil. After drying for about a day, I put on another serving of TruOil.
The grips will never be beautiful, but they sure look better than new and the color doesn't rub off.
Thanks,
Ron

Latest posts

Back