Weaver K1?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredB

Reaction score
Has anyone used a Weaver K1? Being in Idaho, I'm considering getting a 1x scope for my ml, and it's the only one I can find right now.

There have only been a couple of true 1x fixed power rifle scopes ever manufactured. Most 1x scopes had slight magnification, as the optical challenges to making a true 1x scope are greater than just allowing for 1.1 to 1.3 magnification.

To the best of my knowledge, none are still in production. They have always been the red-headed stepchildren of the optics world, with very low numbers sold.

There are, I believe, only two to three, 1x-6x, or 1x-8x, variable power riflescopes that at 1x have no magnification. They are all quite expensive, cost more than $2,000.00, and I think are made by both Schmidt & Bender, and Swarovski. And, being variable power, are not allowed for use on any muzzleoading rifle in those states that only allow for non-magnifying optics.

I have a USA K1 but sadly I had to remove it because the turret adjustments failed to move POI. The cost to rebuild is over 200.00 so I guess it goes on the shelf. Weaver (Bushnell) said to send it in but from what I've heard they just send you back a cheap scope. One freind mentioned tapping it with a rubber mallet but how dependable would that be for hunting. It was a nice scope although a little heavy.

This hunter has been hunting with 1X scope since the inception of glass into the regulation. Here we can only hunt with non-magnified glass. This is a great help to those of us that cannot focus on the front sight.

Over the years four different 1X scope have been tried. None of them was/is a joy to use, however it is beneficial to see the target, and the sight in the same plane.

One of the scopes actually made the image of the target smaller than the target. This wasn't much fun; the scope is not used today. A 1X scope isn't fun; a 0.95X scope is awful.

Three of the scope are virtually a true 1X magnified, and this is good. It seems like this shooter gets better, and better using the 1X magnification as the years go by; this is wonderful. Our boy hunted with a 1X scope one year is all, and now uses a peep sight.

The boy hates the 1X scope. His father kinda does too, but can shoot further than the boy, because of the 1X scope.

Given the opportunity to purchase a Weaver K1.....Certainly, yes.

There are two ways to look at the failure of a scope to not track correctly. One is that if you get it adjusted, it will remain adjusted unless severely abused. Scopes are lubed upon assembly. The lube dries over time. Often if it can be slightly warmed up, it can be adjusted and then left alone.

If you watch people adjust scopes, you will often see them tap the scope with a cartridge after adjusting it, but prior to firing the gun. The tap helps the spring tension in the scope overcome the drying lube.

At one time you could get a Weaver Scope ( steel models American made ) repaired at the Weaver facility in El Paso Texas. They were only open 5 hours a day. I had a job to do for a customer in El Paso so i took a Weaver scope with me with a damaged cross hair for them to repair ( I got it in a trade ). The gentleman told me that model was a POS. I would never be satisfied with it, however in his case he had a fixed 10X AOBJ steel cased Weaver scope he would rebuild and but any cross hair i wanted in for $150.00 plus shipping. It now resides on my Stevens model 44 1/2 single shot bull barreled 22 LR rifle i restored. I could not have been happier. Unfortunely they are now closed forever. What a damn waste. :snipe:
DL

At one time you could get a Weaver Scope ( steel models American made ) repaired at the Weaver facility in El Paso Texas. They were only open 5 hours a day. I had a job to do for a customer in El Paso so i took a Weaver scope with me with a damaged cross hair for them to repair ( I got it in a trade ). The gentleman told me that model was a POS. I would never be satisfied with it, however in his case he had a fixed 10X AOBJ steel cased Weaver scope he would rebuild and but any cross hair i wanted in for $150.00 plus shipping. It now resides on my Stevens model 44 1/2 single shot bull barreled 22 LR rifle i restored. I could not have been happier. Unfortunely they are now closed forever. What a damn waste. :snipe:
DL
I still use a Weaver k2.5 on my unmentionable, have since 75. Biggest field of view, longest eye relief of any scope I've ever looked at. Weaver steel scopes were really top of the line.
Thanks for the memory.

Squint i also still have a Weaver 4X steel scope that has the TV screen front lens. I keep it for nastagia.
DL

I have afew different models of 1x scopes , as far as weaver I have two Kaspas.
If you interested PM me.

Squint i also still have a Weaver 4X steel scope that has the TV screen front lens. I keep it for nastagia.
DL
My first big game scope was a J 2 1/2 Weaver. I bought it secondhand in 1959 for $10 . I things it had advantages that I missed my whole life, being short and not very long with good eye relief, it sure wasn't in the way for anything. It's largest drawback was, that sometimes depending upon your mount, the crosshairs were not always centered as they moved independently of each other. I still own it, it still works and I also have I think at least one b4 Weaver. That's the way things are, I'll never use them again but they're good for nostalgia. I guess the sad thing is I probably don't have that much time left, and I'm sure my kids will just dump them when I'm gone. They're probably all at least 70 years old.

Last edited:
Back