Well I made a oops

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodspinner1

Reaction score
At this I just don't know how bad. I cleaned my 50 cal CVA. Lubricated it and put it all back together. I shot 12 times and took it back in the house and started cleaning it. I went to remove breach plug and it was tight. That is when it hit me. I never put any anti seize on it. I ended taking it up to the shop and put it in a vice. It took a little force to break it loose and it did unscrew. When it was removed that is when I noticed the problem. The first 3 thread had gaulded and there wasnt much thread left. So how is the best way to repair this. I thought I would put it in the lathe and just remove whats left of the threads. Or what does the forum think.
Thanks

I would do just that. You’ll want to inspect your breech also to make sure there’s no damage there. Might have to buy a tap and chase the female threads as well. Usually it would damage both.

Can’t imagine gauling coming from no grease.. if it went in good, the threads should be good.
Dont see 3 less threads will matter unless your on of those that maxing out with everything on your load.

Last edited:
lots of people dont use grease always me included, have had quiet a few plugs freeze from 777 and never had one do that.. Ive even had to take a couple I bought with really frozen rusted in plugs to a welding shop and have a piece welded to plug then taken out with impact or breaker bar with no damage other then where welded.

I don't think any thing was hurt. If you chase both threads things should screw right back.

I'd put on a very very small amount of anti-sieze when putting it back together. I always did.

As you know, when you open that container of anti-sieze it will be in your shorts when you undress and a 4 oz. bottle of it would paint the Missouri River bridge and have some left over!!

Big John

I don't think any thing was hurt. If you chase both threads things should screw right back.

I'd put on a very very small amount of anti-sieze when putting it back together. I always did.

As you know, when you open that container of anti-sieze it will be in your shorts when you undress and a 4 oz. bottle of it would paint the Missouri River bridge and have some left over!!

Big John
That and roofing tar. If you get any closer than ten feet, you’ll get it on you.

Well I was able fix my problem. As it turned out the threads are standard SAE . 5/8-16 and I had both the tap and the die up in the shop. So that makes me happy.
Thanks
Glad you had the stuff to fix it up. Our local hardware stores don’t carry anything that large usually. You have to order it in. Except Harbor Freight and I’m not sticking a Harbor Freight tap in anything important.

Latest posts

Back