Well it finally happened!!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jotjackson1

Reaction score
Put my boat in the water at daylight today, no wind, beautiful sky and best of all, hardly anyone on the water. Seven hours later I have not caught a single fish, not even a hit. I threw everything I had, which is a lot, at them. Nothing! I have caught several bass between 9 and 11 pounds in my lifetime, this has brought me down to where I need to be, humbled at all times.

My father told me this day would come, he was correct, June 3, 2016, it finally happened!

A new Jotjackson, humbled!!!

I guess that means I've been humbled nearly all my life................if I ever caught a 10lb fish, I'd probably quit while I was ahead.................naaaah! :D

Biggest one I ever caught was near Selma with a plastic worm. It was 7 1/2 lbs.

I have a 30 minute window when I first start fishing. If I don't catch anything the first half hour, I go scouting or hog hunting.

Oh, hell... 

My Dad told me that we were curst. 

No Californian (I am a native born- don't tell anyone) 
could ever catch Kentucky fish. (I like to think I am Kentucky 
born and bred) Dad was born in Iowa.

Well, HE could not catch Kentucky fish. He never did. Ever. 

My Colorado born, Missouri living, Great Uncle Elmer taught me different. 
AND, he taught me the point to fishing in the first place. 

In fact, when I am out in the wild, my Great Uncle Elmer is with me. 
Always. Even though I lost his cranky ass a few years ago.

If you have a watch with you and you are fishing? You are missing the point. 

I am a hunter in the same way. God has blessed me with time in his front room. 
I am very happy.

If you are not humble in the face of Mother nature, you are not paying attention.
And, possibly in danger.

Putting fish in the frying pan quickly is my idea of fishing. Wasting a day isn't. Life's too short to waste time watching a cork.

patocazador said:
Putting fish in the frying pan quickly is my idea of fishing. Wasting a day isn't. Life's too short to waste time watching a cork.
Bob, I will not readily cross swords with you. You are smarter and much more experienced than 
I am. And, you are right. Dinner is important. And, life IS short.

But, I can go to the grocery and buy a fish. I can't buy the experience of getting it myself. 
The rich world of God's creation invigorates me. That is important. Watching a cork is a deep 
pleasure when taken with the whole.

No, dinner is not why I hunt and fish. It is nice, but not the soul of the experience. 
My Great Uncle Elmer taught me that truth. I am proud to live it.

True story. About 7 years ago I went on a guided fishing trip. I considered myself a fair fisherman. I had a humbling experience that day.  When I got home I told my wife I had no idea there was anyone in the world that new so much about fishing. I've been enjoying some incredible fishing ever since. He is a full time professional fisherman and owns Tightline Outdoors.  Four years ago he married my daughter.

image_zpscopuhxel.jpeg

Any fisherman that has only been skunked one day in years of fishing, is LUCKY. I have spent many days standing on a steep rocky river bank wearing out my arms fishing for steelhead without having a strike. It is not much different than hunting an elusive big buck from sunup to sundown and not even seeing a little buck. Better luck next time.

John

I do consider my lucky and blessed, I had a great father who took me fishing all the time. He never hunted, but spent time on the water with me. I miss him, but have a lot of memories.

Jerry

"He is a full time professional fisherman and owns Tightline Outdoors.  Four years ago he married my daughter."

Man! What a sneaky way to get free fishing trips the rest of your life. ;)

That's fishing Jotjackson.  Not a bite my first trip on the water with my boat this spring.  To the contrary, this past Thursday (06/02/16) was my best day bass fishing so far this year.  Lost-count smallies all afternoon and hardly anyone on the water.

Back