Whacha got?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownBear

Reaction score
I'm kinda up to my neck in lever guns and curious to see what others are fondling. Good place to stir other conversations.

Here's my list:
Winchester M-71, done over to 450 Alaskan by Harold Johnson in 1954.
Winchester M-1886, original in 38-56 Win
Marlin 336, early one in 35 Rem.
Savage 99 in 358 Win
Savage 99 in 284
Savage 99 in 250
Win 94 in 25-35
Marlin 1894 in 25-20
Marlin 1895 in 44 Kodiak (wildcat based on the 45-70)

Still have my first rifle. A Marlin 336 30-30 that I finally refinished the stock on a handful of years ago. Used to have a scope, But I pulled that off and put Hi Viz fiber optic sights on it. Feels a lot more natural now.

Dad left me two Browning Model 71's.  I'll never shoot the fancy one, but it is might pretty to look at.  The other I do shoot on occasion casue it is an awesome fine rifle.

Mom gave me a "Border Patrol" commenerative Win 94 in 30-30.  Shoot it some caue it is just plain cool and the chicks at the range dig it!

Also have a Marlin 336C. Nice thick cover lever.  Taken more than a few critters with it. 

Just about forgot!!  Also, Mom gave me a Win 94 Trapper in 44 mag.  That is just too much fun!

I have 8 Henrys in various calibers 357,41,45 22, 45-70. I also own a Browning 1886 1 in 3000 premier grade unfired with a matching knife. Its in 45-70 along with a Chiappa ridgerunner in 45-70. Then I have one of my favorite calibers a 38-55 in a Marlin 336 Cowboy. Can a guy have to many leverguns. I dont think so Im waiting on Henry now to come out with one in 38-55. My favorite one to shoot out of all of them is the 357. I think everyone who owns a levergun or who likes levers should have a 357. Al

I have only ever owned one lever action and this is it. A Model 71 Winchester made by Browning. I suspect that this is the "fancy one" Old Smoke mentioned. I can be distracted by shiny things.
27073355_571907289809079_1784961739643529669_n.jpg

Yep. That is gold.

The Model 71 in this calibre is said to have been the preferred rifle for Alaskan hunting guides back in the day. It is quick, potent, and easily accurate up to 100 yards with its simple open sights. Grizzly medicine.

7KJaK7.jpg

High Grade Rifle Chambered in .348 Winchester.

I liked it so much, I learned to load my own ammunition for it. [font=Open Sans, Helvetica Neue Light, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The calibre is considered an 'exotic' calibre. So factory loads are tough to find, limited in manufacturer selection, and run on the pricey side. [/font]I got a really great deal on this rifle or I would not have bought it. It is one of 3000 made. 

[font=Open Sans, Helvetica Neue Light, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I don't believe in keeping 'safe queens.' I do use this in the field when it suits the hunt. It is a joy to carry. Its lighter than you'd think and of a nimble length and has great balance. I can carry it effortlessly with one hand. There is really nothing like the unique thrill of chambering with a lever action. I recommend you indulge in this pleasure if you have not. [/font]

Kentucky Colonel said:
[font=Open Sans, Helvetica Neue Light, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I don't believe in keeping 'safe queens.' [/font]
I'm right with you.  "Collectors" make me nuts, whether guns or bamboo fishing rods or anything else.  They gather really choice stuff into their Midas hoards, and from that point forth those great tools never get to live again, fulfilling their intended role in the field.  Seems a crying shame to me to take the very best and squirrel it away.

I'm with you on the handling and carry of the M71, too.  Such a sweet, sweet rifle in the field.  My 450 Alaskan is about the easiest carrying gun I've ever handled in spite of pretty solid weight. It just doesn't feel so heavy, being so well balanced in the hand and pointing so naturally. I'm fortunate that the original owner (a close friend) is about my size and Johnson's stock work was perfect for heavy recoil.  I'm 6'4" and a solid 230, and when that 400 grain bullet launches at 2250, lots of things start moving.  Unless I shift my weight well onto my front foot it lifts my front foot into the air in recoil. Yet it's not painful at all for me to shoot.

Smaller folks get beatohell by the recoil, but it just sways my upper body real good. The gun doesn't weigh all that much more than a Marlin 45-70, but the Marlin eats me alive with its max loads, even though it's pushing bullets lots slower.  Think of the 450 Alaskan as a 458 Winchester in a lever action (It comes within about 5% of the 458's ballistics) and you have a pretty good idea of the experience. But in the field it translates into a whole lot of whoopass in a light, handy lever gun.

BrownBear said:
Kentucky Colonel said:
[font=Open Sans, Helvetica Neue Light, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I don't believe in keeping 'safe queens.' [/font]
I'm right with you...

&

I'm 6'4" and a solid 230, and when that 400 grain bullet launches at 2250, lots of things start moving... Smaller folks get beat to hell by the recoil, but it just sways my upper body real good. 
Anti-Safe Queen Rifle:
I brought two rifles to the last hunt I was on. One was my Model 71. When I uncased it, two of my friends visibly winced and looked worried. They told me to take it into the camp's safe immediately. They were uncomfortable with the thought of it being in use and even being left unlocked. I chuckled to myself. It is pretty, yes. But, all the other rifles were out and displayed on the open racks where we could see them. Many of those rifles were more valuable than mine. Yet, they were convinced that mine would be 'at risk.' I grinned a bit and took it as a compliment and locked it up. 

Recoil & Big Boys: 
I LOVE that 'sway' you get from a snugged, high charge rifle. I have never been bothered by recoil except when I improperly miss the 'pocket.' (Firing prone with a .300 Win Mag Browning did make me sore when used for an entire NRA match.) I am a big boy, too. I am in the same weight class and only 1.5 inches off Brown Bear's height. While we may have the recoil advantage, the best shooters I have met of all sizes have shown little trouble with the bigger calibers. I just think they are snug and tight in the shoulder pocket. If you are not, they will sometimes punish you for your lack of respect. I love them.

No lever action I have used has been close to the recoil I get in some of the bolt actions I have shot. Maybe I just have not met a 'Shoulder Killer,' yet.

I have several lever guns 2 30/30 Win 94s,1 Marlin 336 in 444 ,1 Marlin 95 45/70 guide gun, 2 95 Winchesters 1 is a 30/40 Krag carbine the other is a 405 take down,1 Rossi Rio Grande 410 shot gun,1 Henry 1860 44/40 ,1 Henry 44 mag big boy ,1 Henry golden boy 22 cal,uberti 1873 357 mag, Rossi Ranch Hand 45 Colt. Always looking for more.

That looks good Colonel. I need to get a pic up of my Browning. Al

I have only 2 lever guns. Both Henrys, a big boy brass 44 mag and an 1860 45 colt. I haven't shot the 1860 yet but have had the 44 mag out and love it. I have wanted the 1860 for many years and finally got it just this month

Jim.

I only have 3 lever rifles. Two Winchester 94s in .30-30 and a Savage 99C in .243. 

One of the 94s is the first center-fire rifle I ever owned and the other is an older one that has been beaten around pretty good. It was my FIL's and I plan on giving it to either my son or grandson.

I have a Henry Golden Boy in 22 and a Savage 99 in 300 savage. I love shooting them both and do reload for the Savage. The Savage was my Grand Fathers passed to my Father then passed to me. Some day I will pass it to my son.

rebs, i bit of info on the savage lever action like the one you have. back in the early hay day of that gun savage corporation gave boxes full of those guns to the shoshone tribe to pass out to their members. they live in a beautiful hunting country and are the best cowboys their is. raise the finest cattle organic and ship them to calif by contract. savage gave the tribe the guns so they could hunt their land. for some reason the savage co. really liked the shoshone people. if you ever go to yellow stone and pass through wind river canyon, that is their country. 30 years ago their was a gun shop in bismark n.dak that collected hundreds of lever action savages, he was old then so woulnt be their any more. i often wondered what happened to all those guns.

p.s. my friend in this county when he lived in nevada found a lever action rifle in a tree up in the high country left their since the 1800/s. it is a rare one and not a winchester. much more solid built. it is in much better shape than the one found up high out west and put all over the internet on you tube. it could easily be put back in working order. also i think it has so real value. some hunter in the old days put it their to take his critter out and come back and get it. every thing looks a like up their and he never found it again. most likely what happened.

According to the serial number mine was built in 1945 which makes it one year older than me. Still in great shape and very accurate rifle. I have the canvas and leather case that my Grand Father kept it in as well as the leather string with a slot cut in it to put a patch through the barrel for cleaning. I guess they didn't have brass cleaning rods and brushes back then. I don't know.

I have just a single lever action: A Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt. I had an 1895 Winchester that was made post-1964 as a Buffalo Bill Cody Commemorative. I found the Cody decorations to be a bit hokey so I sold it.
Interesting story with the Henry Big Boy - I bought it used, in great condition. However, the wood for the stock was plain and  unattractive. The Big Boys shown in the catalog have moderately figured wood. I wrote an email to Henry pointing out the discrepancy between the marketing rifle and the run-of-the-mill rifle.  The owner of Henry, Anthony Imperato, responded and sent me a much nicer stock. How is that for a good customer interaction?
Ron

I have a 1964 Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. I had a 1977 336 in .30-30 that I traded away recently. I gave my son a 1969 Marlin 336 saddle gun when he was 9 years old and he still kills deer with it every year. He's 41 now. There have been more, all Marlin 336s, all .30-30s, but I don't recall what years they were. Some I didn't even shoot.

-Joe

RonC said:
The owner of Henry, Anthony Imperato, responded and sent me a much nicer stock. How is that for a good customer interaction?
Ron
You must be fluent in Italian.  ;)    On his commercials he sounds like a "wise guy."

Bella faccia; belle gambe; Penso di amarti. Pretty face; nice legs; I think I love you. :shock:
Those are the only Italian phrases I know aside from musical nomenclature.
Ron​

I had a late 1940's Winchester 94 in .32 Winchester Special. It was my first gun, and handed down to me from my grandfather through my father. I never took a deer with it, but my grandfather did over the years. I had a falling out with my father and the gun became a sore spot for me. Rather that sell it, I gave it to nephew, whom was happy to have it. I miss that gun but not the strings attached to it.

Back