What exactly is a Node?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redear

Reaction score
Alright you experienced range shooters, what is a Node? Maybe this is something I need to know. lol

Do a search for Dan Newberry. A bit different of a ladder test.

Little bit of an explanation found on “snipers hide”. Not bad.
While reading consider the definition of the word “node”.

4a: a point, line, or surface of a vibrating body ( BARREL ) or system that is free or relatively free from vibratory motion
b: a point at which a wave( Barrel whip ) has an amplitude (Motion ) of zero
5a:a point at which subsidiary parts originate or center

You kind of need to know your maximum load and work backwards and you need a chronograph. Max. load -.2gr to -.5gr increments backwards for 20 shots. You'll probably have 2 nodes in those 20 shots, 3 to 4 rounds with small variance in velocity across different charges. The nodes will also be closer to or at your x-axis which means the barrel is somewhat at rest at the 6 or 12 o'clock position as the bullet leaves the barrel.

X-axis consistency over elevation and consistent velocity over a small variance in powder charge is the ticket.

You should be able to find the nodes in 20 shots with a decent chronograph and at least a 300 yard range.

I just watched the saterlee load test explained. interesting stuff and it makes sense to me, thanks to you all!

Do a search for Dan Newberry. A bit different of a ladder test.

Little bit of an explanation found on “snipers hide”. Not bad.
While reading consider the definition of the word “node”.

4a: a point, line, or surface of a vibrating body ( BARREL ) or system that is free or relatively free from vibratory motion
b: a point at which a wave( Barrel whip ) has an amplitude (Motion ) of zero
5a:a point at which subsidiary parts originate or center

You kind of need to know your maximum load and work backwards and you need a chronograph. Max. load -.2gr to -.5gr increments backwards for 20 shots. You'll probably have 2 nodes in those 20 shots, 3 to 4 rounds with small variance in velocity across different charges. The nodes will also be closer to or at your x-axis which means the barrel is somewhat at rest at the 6 or 12 o'clock position as the bullet leaves the barrel.

X-axis consistency over elevation and consistent velocity over a small variance in powder charge is the ticket.

You should be able to find the nodes in 20 shots with a decent chronograph and at least a 300 yard range.
Probably the best explanation I’ve heard. It is incredible what a difference a grain or two can make. At least with CF. I’m sure it’s the same with a front stuffer. In my old Model 70 30.06, I went from an 1-1/2”
Group at 100 yards to a 5/8” group just by playing with the powder charge. I don’t have a chrono, but, I also have read you don’t need one to find the nodes. Shooting at longer distances, 5-600 yards, you can watch for bullets impacting in the same vertical plane to find the nodes.

I am understanding this thing now. I see now why ya'll get those real nice chronographs.

Latest posts

Back