What is the Hot Shot nipple?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkitoff1

Reaction score
Where I live, when I mention this people think it is an exotic bar drink.  You guys and girls know what I am asking about. What makes this "brand" better than others? Is there more than one manufacturer? Any information is appreciated as the internet shows me where to buy them but not much specifics.  I have a Traditions that occasionally has delayed ignition in spite of careful cleaning and drying that I hope a Hot Shot might help. I have other brand rifles and guns including custom that are due for a nipple change anyway so I may go with Hot Shot if it is something "better".

I don't feel that its better. It has 2 vent holes at the top that supposedly release air in the shaft when the cap goes off. I still have hang fires with it when using a sub black powder.

If you want the best flowing nipple that works excellent with all the black powders and subs, the Knight Red Hot.

Hot shot,
13636710.jpg

nipple10.jpg

Knight Red Hot
36761910.jpg

Is the Red Hot available for Traditions, CVA or T/C. I don't see this one in internet-land.....

Yes, I just bought one on ebay today.

CVA/Traditons use the 6-1mm thread and TC 1/4x28 thread assuming its the hawken or renegade.

www.muzzleloaders.com ( knight ) will sell them as well.

I used a hot shot nipple quite a bit on a couple of rifles and liked it just fine.  Was it better than the others?  Well, I don't know as I had great reliability with them all.

Same here.  I've shot Pyrodex 2g, 3g, RS, and T7 2g from my Hawken.  Never had trouble with any of the various nipples.  But, I've used mostly the Hot Shot.

What would be wrong with drilling out the "powder end" of a  nipple to a larger size?  Needs to stay smaller than the powder size, but could be a tad bigger?

If you drill out the nipple too much, the back pressure can blow the hammer back to 1/2 cock when the main charge goes off. I’ve had this happen with an old TC renegade

VEry true.  That's one of the problems with underhammers (which I like) as the charge level is fairly limited to the strength of the hammer spring.  In my H&A the recommended charge was 60 grains of 3F.  Go past 70 and the hammer goes back to full cock.  Most nipples are designed well and shouldn't be tampered with.

Back