Need advice on a shot/impact recording device

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had it with this Caldwell chrony!
I have been looking at replacing it with a better chrony, then it hit me, if I can get a device to record the shot & record the bullet impact ( without a human delay factor & the difference in the sound traveling vs the impact of the bullet ) I can take an accurate bullet flight time & accurately calculate my velocity to plug into my ballistics app instead of using any chrony at all. Just MATH & something - prob 2 pieces needed, 1 at the gun & another at the target ???
Would it be cheaper to buy something like this vs better chrony?
So, any help with what to look into or where to look for something like this would be greatly appreciated.

I saw this on an archery forum several years ago where a guy did something similar. He set up I believe in his barn so there wasn't a lot of outside noise. He measured his 20 yard range and put his computer precisely in the middle. Using some sort of recording program he was able to record the sound when he shot his bow and also when the arrow hit the target. He then used the recording to measure time between each sound and calculate that out for an arrow speed. He argued that this was more accurate as it gave the arrow speed over the entire distance instead of a single point closer to the bow when the arrow would be travelling faster. I don't know how much it matters, nor do I know if you could transition this to work with a gun and bullet, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless.

I saw this on an archery forum several years ago where a guy did something similar. He set up I believe in his barn so there wasn't a lot of outside noise. He measured his 20 yard range and put his computer precisely in the middle. Using some sort of recording program he was able to record the sound when he shot his bow and also when the arrow hit the target. He then used the recording to measure time between each sound and calculate that out for an arrow speed. He argued that this was more accurate as it gave the arrow speed over the entire distance instead of a single point closer to the bow when the arrow would be travelling faster. I don't know how much it matters, nor do I know if you could transition this to work with a gun and bullet, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless.
Thanks for your reply.
I got a lil crash course in the physics aspect of what I wasn't taking into consideration when contemplating this route.
There are components for sale to do this, but there is more to it than simply recording shot & impact to get accurate velocities.
Its simpler to just get another chrony.

I've had it with this Caldwell chrony!
I have been looking at replacing it with a better chrony, then it hit me, if I can get a device to record the shot & record the bullet impact ( without a human delay factor & the difference in the sound traveling vs the impact of the bullet ) I can take an accurate bullet flight time & accurately calculate my velocity to plug into my ballistics app instead of using any chrony at all. Just MATH & something - prob 2 pieces needed, 1 at the gun & another at the target ???
Would it be cheaper to buy something like this vs better chrony?
So, any help with what to look into or where to look for something like this would be greatly appreciated.
short answer NO ,sounds like a government project needing unlimited taxpayer funding/Ed

short answer NO ,sounds like a government project needing unlimited taxpayer funding/Ed
No, not at all. There are already ppl using things like this, but theres a lot that goes into doing it " correctly ".
Once A/C educated me on some physics & set up of using devices like that, I had a better understanding of how it needs to be set up to work right. Its not a simple endeavor. Getting a new chrony is going to be the way to go I believe.

OK most new stuff is over my head ,but then again aside from being stubborn (I'm SHORT)/Ed
There was a whole lot that was " over my head " when I first joined MML. But me being a " why why why " kinda guy, I've gotten a college-level education being in here & a cpl other forums. I read a lot. Theres still a lot over my head, but I understand that & I enjoy the non-stop learning about muzzleloading, shooting, ballistics, new tech avail, new optics, new/better bullet options, etc.
Stubborn - I too will beat a dead horse to oblivion & gnaw on a bone long after theres nuthin left on it. Stubborn/bullheaded is just a part of who I am. Using those traits in a better, smarter fashion & application in my old age is still quite challenging.

Latest posts

Back