CVA Breechplug Question???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowHammer

Reaction score
Currently I am using a CVA Optima V2 nitride w/ 26in.bbl. factory breedchplug with flame channel drilled out to 1/8" and flash hole @ .031 I am using federal premium 209MZ primers. I am shooting blackhorn 209 reliably but realize the need for the breechplug and possibly stronger primers. I am ordering the leigh defense breech plug w/ ventliner tomm. Now with all that said I have 2 questions. First if my federal 209mz primers are igniting bh209 reliably now, then they should work really well with the new bh209 breedchplug or am I looking at that the wrong way? Mainly it's bc I have an unopened box of them that I don't want to throw away. What should I do about primers? And my "load" is 110gn/w bh209, 250gn smackdown sst.and then the leigh blackhorn plug. 1/2"@100. So primer suggestions try what I have with the new plug or just get some magnums and if so what brand do you recommend for fit in cva and performance. And secondly the Main question I have is will changing to the leigh breechplug w/ vent liner change my point of impact? I mean I will shoot it as soon as I get it of course but I'm just wondering what to expect, I honestly couldn't see it going either way. I don't think it will move much if at all.

Please just tell me what you think from experience, you have already saved me alot of headaches and money just from reading old threads.

Thank you for your time, T.Brady

Changing to the Lehigh shouldnt change your poi much, if any. I think that you may start to have ignition problems with those primers and BH209 when it gets cold. But maybe not so much if you're in the southern U.S.
Yes sir, I'm new on here, let me Introunce myself proper. My name is Tim Brady, I live in northeastern AL. Yeah see that's what I keep hearing is the cold weather changes things. I can definitely. Understand this. I am not anew hunter I have killed a P&Y and one B&C whitetail. But this is my first year ever using an muzzleloader. I've been lurking for awhile, I have basically fell in love with it so much I doubt I will ever use my browning again!!!! There 8s just a certain satisfaction with hand loading each shot and getting those groups tight is the carrot on the stick. An d I love the customization. I ha e a load with 70gn/w bh209 and .44cal 240 xtp for less than 100 yards and then I've got 110gn/w bh209 and .45cal smackdown sst to use with my nikon bdc. It's the perfect deer gun. When I hunt with a centerfire I feel like every deer I see is dead. I like knowing there's a small chance something could go wrong it puts a little more spice into it. I CANNOT WAIT to put one down in the name of deer jerky!!!!! I agree about the poi change I can't see it being much either same bullet same barrel same powder, I thought if anything it might make my groups better bc of the better ignition. I'll repost on here when I find out for sure ordered the plug today so won't be long. Thanks for the reply.

T. Brady

The MZ primers are cooler ignition. When temps go down so will reliability using the MZ primers with BH209. BH209 likes a hot flame. Personally I use only the W209 Winchester shot shell reloading primers in all of my inlines. All of my plugs have vent liners. I hunt in some very cold temps at times [down to -15] and none of the components have ever failed me.

One other point to think about is the carbon from primers building up in the flash channel. Other than when popping a couple, three primers to foul my barrels before loading to hunt, I clean the plug and ream the carbon out every time I shoot the guns. This assures me of a good, hot flame too.

The MZ primers are cooler ignition. When temps go down so will reliability using the MZ primers with BH209. BH209 likes a hot flame. Personally I use only the W209 Winchester shot shell reloading primers in all of my inlines. All of my plugs have vent liners. I hunt in some very cold temps at times [down to -15] and none of the components have ever failed me.

One other point to think about is the carbon from primers building up in the flash channel. Other than when popping a couple, three primers to foul my barrels before loading to hunt, I clean the plug and ream the carbon out every time I shoot the guns. This assures me of a good, hot flame too.
Would you shoot W209 In my cva? How do winchesters fit the cvas?

I believe that you want to eliminate any primer blowback so that you have the maximum amount of primer hot gas to get to and ignite the powder charge. A fired primer should NOT have any black soot on the sides of the case which indicates blowback. The blowback also fouls the firing pin assembly and anything else that it comes into contact with. For my CVA Accuras I have found that the rubber O-Ring in the primer pocket will eliminate any primer blowback and give the maximum primer charge to ignite the powder charge. This is the O-Ring. McMaster-Carr

Fired primer using O-Ring.
c1rtnmtl.jpg

:rolleyes:If I read you right you said 110 weighed gr of BH209? That's a hell of a lot!! 84 weighed gr is 120 by volume. 77 weighed is 110 by vol. :think:
I'm sorry yeah I meant the equivalent to 110gn/V but I shoot 77gn/W. I just recently started shooting bh209 and I have a funny story, so the first time I sat down to shoot it, my bullets were 3" high and my scope cap was brushing me eyebrow when I shot. Well I was shooting 120gn/V. So I decided to weight it just to see what was going on and 1 weighed 3 120 grains/volume charges and they were from 88gn to 102gn. The three I had shot earlier had to be closer to the latter bc they kicked like a mule and I think that explains my bullets being so high bc I cranked up the velocity so much. But long story short I weighed the next three charges and then proceeded to shoot the tightest group of my life. So I wouldn't recommend anyone weighing bh209 I don't think it's safe unless maybe ylu have a powder measure for bh209. But I say weigh all the way.the photo below is the first group I ever shot with weighed charges of bh209.

Attachments

• 20210807_003657.jpg
    20210807_003657.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 20
I'm sorry yeah I meant the equivalent to 110gn/V but I shoot 77gn/W. I just recently started shooting bh209 and I have a funny story, so the first time I sat down to shoot it, my bullets were 3" high and my scope cap was brushing me eyebrow when I shot. Well I was shooting 120gn/V. So I decided to weight it just to see what was going on and 1 weighed 3 120 grains/volume charges and they were from 88gn to 102gn. The three I had shot earlier had to be closer to the latter bc they kicked like a mule and I think that explains my bullets being so high bc I cranked up the velocity so much. But long story short I weighed the next three charges and then proceeded to shoot the tightest group of my life. So I wouldn't recommend anyone weighing bh209 I don't think it's safe unless maybe ylu have a powder measure for bh209. But I say weigh all the way.the photo below is the first group I ever shot with weighed charges of bh209.
That bottom shot to the right of bullseye was fouling shot.

Just wanted to say I got my lehigh BP and couldn't be happier. No problems with instalation, I used a BIG flathead qith no problem. It seated perfectly. Then I proceeded to sit down and shoot a really nice 3 shot group of 1/2"@150ft. I immediately noticed the powder was ignitied more consistently and I swear that lead to a little less recoil but maybe that was in my head who knows. My o rings fit in the primer pocket just a little better as well so I have ZERO BLOWBACK. So this plug < given me every optima owners dream. Zero blowback, and stacking bullets!!! What else can I ask for. This BP will allow me to shoot more freely without having to be so wear and tear conscience. Vent liner easier to replace on a budget as well. Thanks for the shout out @ronlaughlin. What I've been needing. It's two thumbs up from me.

Please excuse my ignorance, I thought they came already drilled and tapped with a vent liner installed ? Or do I have to do the drilling and tapping ?

Thank you

Order the pack of vent liner with it too. Then you are set for years. Use a little anti size on the vent liner and remove it when you clean the plug. When you put it back in the plug you dont need to crank it down super tight. I just use a nut driver handle to snug it down.

Latest posts

Back