What is you favorite mayo?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite mayo?

• Hellmanns/Best Foods

• Dukes

• Blue Plate

• Kraft

• Other and please state which one

• None, i hate mayo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Its called Kewpie mayo. Its from Japan and also a yolk only mayo. Little bottle here is about $5. If you like it you will probably love Blue Plate. There is no sugar added and Kewpie uses rice vinegar so it has less bite. Its also has MSG.

That's the one, we don't have blue plate here. Not sure what another equivalent would be.

I grew up on miracle whip & thought it was Mayo. It wasn’t until I was in the navy that I knew there was a difference, needless to say I’ve never eaten miracle whip since.....
What is it?

Dukes first and then Blue plate. Grew up with store brand as that is all we could afford. Once I had Dukes it became my favorite, sometime in the 70's.

I make my own when I get the urge for real good sandwich mayo. I grew up on best foods, don't think miracle whip should be allowed in the same aisle as any mayo. Lately, the wife has been buying at smart foodservice and their store brand is very good so far. I have been using it for slaw dressing and white sauce for pulled butt.

Food service mayo is actually heavier. At least they call it "heavy" in the description. Several brands offer a food service version.
https://www.amazon.com/Hellmanns-Extra-Heavy-Mayonnaise-Pack/dp/B00374WGAS
A foodservice exclusive! Hellmanns Extra Heavy Mayonnaise is made by adding extra egg yolks to our trade-secret Real Mayonnaise recipe. This thicker, more eggy mayonnaise inspires passion and loyalty among professional chefs. Thicker, extra-curdy viscosity holds through demanding binding and browning. The thicker emulsion is an ideal dressing base for extra-creamy scratch-made dressings.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Plate-Extra-Mayonnaise-Gallon/dp/B004P7RBXI
https://www.amazon.com/Dukes-Heavy-Mayonnaise-Gallon-Count/dp/B01N2RHJQZ

This is one i got a few days ago but have not tried yet. Need to finish off the Dukes first.
Hellmann's Homestyle Mayonnaise lets you enjoy the rich, creamy flavor of homemade mayonnaise anytime you want — no whisking or blending required. Our recipe uses 40% more eggs than Hellmann's

hellmann_s_mayonnaise_homestyle_fop-1928258-jpg.jpg.ulenscale.420x420.jpg

OK Gentlemen, here's a question for the general group. I noticed that when I was down south and in Florida, the mayonnaise did not need to be refrigerated. Up in the northern states it does need refrigeration. If it's made with eggs, how is that possible??

OK Gentlemen, here's a question for the general group. I noticed that when I was down south and in Florida, the mayonnaise did not need to be refrigerated. Up in the northern states it does need refrigeration. If it's made with eggs, how is that possible??

I think there is a geographic disparity here. I have never heard of half of the products listed.

I think there is a geographic disparity here. I have never heard of half of the products listed.

Hellmanns and Best Foods are the same thing. The name is just different based on the east to west. Best Foods Mayonnaise is sold west of the Rocky Mountains and Hellmanns to the east. Dukes is a east coast brand but popular down south as well. Dukes is supposed to be available in New Zealand and Australia. It has no sugar added and its very "eggy" because its all yolks like Kewpie.

Blue Plate is also all yolks. Its a southern USA brand. Originally made in New Orleans but now made in Tennessee. Not as widely available but one of the oldest brands of mayo.

When i make some salads like tuna or chicken salad i use a 50/50 mix of mayo and Miracle Whip. When it comes to beef like a burger im not a Whip fan at all. Way too sweet for beef IMO but great on leftover turkey. Try a grilled cheese but use real mayo instead of butter to grill it. ;)

Been a huge fan of Hellmanns for years but Dukes has grown on me lately. Got some Blue Plate coming that is made with only the yolks. People in the south IIRC swear by it. Stores here dont carry it but they do have Dukes. The other day i found Hellmans Homestytle that has more egg than regular Hellmans but i have not opened it yet. Dukes has more egg yolk than regular Hellmans and less salt too.
Hellman’s

Duke's is king in the South. Not sure if available everywhere, but Duke's Mayo, Sundrop, Cheerwine and Neese's livermush make life enjoyable. How do you make a 'mater sandwich without Duke's?

Duke's is king in the South. Not sure if available everywhere, but Duke's Mayo, Sundrop, Cheerwine and Neese's livermush make life enjoyable. How do you make a 'mater sandwich without Duke's?
We prefer Hunter's livermush but everything else is alright.

Back