What kind of oil finish on Lyman rifles?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rubbed some linseed oil on the Great Plains stock. Looks purty! Smells good too. But it took quite awhile to be absorbed/dry. Makes me wonder if Lyman (.Investarms) used linseed or tung oil or maybe something else.
Handsome piece of walnut...

I used Birchwood Casey Tongue Oil on my Lymans. I would rub in a coat and then let it sit for two days. When I was positive it was dry, I would add another coat.

Lyman uses some sort of oil finish, but i've never been able to find out exactly what they use. I use a lot of Ballistol on it. It actually comes out pretty nice.

I use Ballistol on my entire gun's exterior, whether it be wood or synthetic stock.

Would you be using boiled linseed oil or raw? Boiled has additives to help it dry quicker. Raw has none and will take longer. Most oils are linseed based (pressed flax seed oil) with additional dryers in it. You can add a bit of japan driers or even a small bit of spar varnish to your BLO to quicken the drying. There is a good article on the net "Sanding in a gunstok" . I'll see if I can find it. I'm talking about a raw wood surface not one with existing finish.
Just my experience.

they may use a stain with poly in it...i have seen stocks with it on it before...a good way to tell is hit with a hair dryer..if it stays dry most likely poly stain..if u see oil rise it is just some type of oil......

Back