Remington Model 514

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Needed a rifle for cheap practice as well as the occasional squirrel or rabbit.
I spotted this 514 for a good price. Everything's was good except for damage to the stock finish on the butt. Something got on it and took the finish off.
No matter, Easy fix.
I've had 514s before. Good solid rifles and quite accurate too. This one shot well, 5 under 3/4 inch at 25 yards, with open sights. But the 514s are poorly bedded, so I full length glassed her, stripped the old stock finish with acetone, and gave her a bunch of boiled linseed oil.
Shot her yesterday with some CCI Mini mag 40 gr and put 10 rounds into 7/16ths at 25 yards.
The trigger NEEDS work. Feels like pulling a cinder block across a gravel road.
This one's my only breechloader. Good little booger! Will put an aperture sight on her to match my Firehawk and Thunderhawk so I can get meaningful practice. Fun to follow!

514's are great rifles, one of problems with trigger is action and bolt is very loose fit and sear engagement varies alot as does trigger pull. Best fix is slightly squeeze receiver with bolt in action to tighten up fit.

Taking trigger assy apart and cleaning, stoning all wear surfaces (beware sear is case hardened go very easy ) on action slots, sides of parts.

Cut a few coils (one at a time and test) off trigger return spring and moly lube surfaces.

Latest posts

Back