what load for .270 for black bear?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just wondering on opinions on a load for a .270 for black bear....ive heard 150-160 grain nosler partition will be my best best, what all you guys think?, thank you

I have some handloads with 130 grn Barnes triple shock bullets at about 3000 fps out of my 22" barrel.
I would not hesitate to hunt black bear with that load.
Nothing wrong with 150's either if your rifle shoots them well

270 loads

IMHO good old 150 grain Remington CoreLokts will do just fine.

Most any well designed 130gr+ bullet will work fine. Alot will depend on ranges and shots you are taking. If it was me, I would be looking at 130gr TTSX over imr 4350 for about 3100 fps out of my rifle. Should get complete penetration no matter the angle.

You'll be hard pressed to find a better bullet/weight combination than what you are thinking. Choose the one that is most accurate out of your rifle. A properly hit bear doesn't travel very far. Remember that shot placement is key to a quick recovery. Don't shoot it like you would a deer; behind the front leg.

I hunt over bait so I always wait for a quartering away shot. I aim for the offside shoulder. I have had a couple of bang flops but most never make it more than 50 yards.

Here is a link. http://www.dundeesportsmansclub.com/dun ... cement.pdf

HawgHunter said:
You'll be hard pressed to find a better bullet/weight combination than what you are thinking. Choose the one that is most accurate out of your rifle. A properly hit bear doesn't travel very far. Remember that shot placement is key to a quick recovery. Don't shoot it like you would a deer; behind the front leg.

I hunt over bait so I always wait for a quartering away shot. I aim for the offside shoulder. I have had a couple of bang flops but most never make it more than 50 yards.

Here is a link. http://www.dundeesportsmansclub.com/dun ... cement.pdf

i will be sitting on bait also, i was told to sight gun in dead on at 100 yards....im from illinois going to be hunting in idaho, thank you

You can't go wrong with the Partitions. They're a great bullet.

Got my first bear this year with my Savage 111 .270. 80 yard shot, bear ran a short distance spun in a circle 3 times and went down in a heap. The load( work up to it carefully) was a 130 gr Sierra Pro Hunter over 60gr of H4831SC in neck sized Rem cases, OAL 3.265, chrono'd velocity was a flat 3000 fps. The bullet entered ahead of the right shoulder( front quartering shot) completely penetrated the chest and took out a rib on the left side as it exited. The contents of the chest can best be described as goo. The permanent cavity through the lungs was about 2 inches and the lungs were fragmented( blown to pieces actually). I waited for, and was disappointed to not hear, the " death bawl" . When I dressed him out and found he had nothing to make noise with, I felt better. Btw, this bear is some of the finest meat I've ever eaten. Not a big bear ( 165lbs) but not a pooh bear either. Dragging him out by myself was exhausting. It was like dragging a 165lb water balloon! best of luck!

I have a spring bear tag for Southern Oregon. I expect I will be using the .270 wby with some 130 grand slams.
I, like you am waiting to see the results. I have some weatherby ammo with the 130 they use but I am afraid of bullet failure( over expansion) if a close shot presents itself.

Latest posts

Back