What model Knight Rifle do I have?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETipp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
I have a .50 caliber Knight rifle that I would like to know the model of. I actually purchased this rifle back in, I think, 1993 or maybe 1994. I moved away and left it with my dad, which has passed away now, so I now have the rifle back. No paper work and there is no markings as to the model or year of it. The only markings are "Black Knight", serial number 34590, and MML Inc.

I can try to post a pic of it soon, if that will help.

Anyone have an idea the model of this rifle?Black Knight .50 cal.jpg

Last edited:
Mk 85 with a black knight barrel.

That's kind of what I was thinking but its been a long time.

So do the recommended loading for the MK 85 correspond with other .50 Knight rifle models of about that year?

I thank you sir.

I have a couple, BK92 is what they were sold as. Accurate as hell with 300gr SST over 90grs (v) of 777. Cloverleaf at 100yds.

I have a couple, BK92 is what they were sold as. Accurate as hell with 300gr SST over 90grs (v) of 777. Cloverleaf at 100yds.
Okay, so its actually a BK92 then? I would reckon the 92 is for the year those models were introduced?

Honestly, I only fired this ML a few times when I first purchased it then gave it to my dad. I did not establish an accurate combination for it. I moved back out west and was not around when he was still able to use it so I do not recall what recipe he said he was using. I tried a few different combinations a couple years ago after I got it back, but still didn't get it to hit well.

So, your BK 92 with a 300 grain SST using 90 grains of 777 shoots very accurately. Does the (v) mean volume?

What sabot are you using?

Thank you for the information.

I had one of those for many years. Traded a golf lesson for it. My hunting partner named it "Ol Faithful" because most of the time when it went off there was a deer on the ground.

That's awesome. Deer on the ground is what its all about for this ole boy.

What recipe were you putting through yours?

Agree BK-92 excellent rifle the stock is a little different than the MK-85 still have one that I bought new.

Thank you sir. Always nice to know what one has. I am fairly certain I got the owners manual when I got the rifle back, but I be darned if I can find it.

I have an MK 85 that I shoot 75 grains of Triple 7 2F with a 240 Grain XTP and a Green Harvester Crush rib sabot. This combo is deadly accurate. My 8 year old grandson wanted to shoot it but said the kick was too hard for him. I loaded 50 Grains of 2F and the same 240 grain bullet and sabot and at 50 yards he could hit accurately and enjoyed shooting it.

I have an MK 85 that I shoot 75 grains of Triple 7 2F with a 240 Grain XTP and a Green Harvester Crush rib sabot. This combo is deadly accurate. My 8 year old grandson wanted to shoot it but said the kick was too hard for him. I loaded 50 Grains of 2F and the same 240 grain bullet and sabot and at 50 yards he could hit accurately and enjoyed shooting it.

Thank you. I have the 240 grain XTP but with black sabots. I may have some green ones as well but no crush rib sabots. I can certainly get some if need be. Might need to get some loose 777 if the pellets do not do the trick. Will need to get some for sure for a 75 grain charge. IMO, that's the kicker to 50 grain pellets......no in between charges.

Thank you. I have the 240 grain XTP but with black sabots. I may have some green ones as well but no crush rib sabots. I can certainly get some if need be. Might need to get some loose 777 if the pellets do not do the trick. Will need to get some for sure for a 75 grain charge. IMO, that's the kicker to 50 grain pellets......no in between charges.
T7 pellets also come in 30 grain and 60 grain. Allows you to make up a lot of different combos. But powder is still more versatile.

ETipp,

I'm using the smooth black sabot from MMP, its their taller one so I think it's the HPH12. Correct, the V was for volume so you knew I wasn't weighing the charges. The stock on the BK92's is a cheaper version than the MK85, my open sights are Williams metal ones. It was my first in-line rifle and all I could afford back then but wouldn't part with it for anything. Later ones I've bought had plastic sights but couldn't say if they came from the factory like that as they were bought used.
Back when I bought it all we could use here in VA was a lead conical so I used the Hornady 385 Great Plains over 80 grs of Pyrodex. Accuracy was "okay" if I recall.
John

This is kind of a poor picture of the gun. BK92 54 cal. Knight sabot with 100 gr pyrodex RS. Shot 200 yards.

Attachments

• download (1).jpeg
    download (1).jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 0
Back