What Muzzleloader are hunting with this year?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The top ML is a Savage MLII with a Brux .45 barrel in 1 in 28 twist. It is for my daughters, using 195 grain Barnes with the Harvester light blue sabots. SSS trigger. Devin Sinner did the barrel work etc.
The bottom is a .45 on a Ruger No. 1 with a Douglas barrel by SMI. It shoots a 230 grain Fury bonded bullet in a Harvester light blue sabot.
The Savage shoots a lighter load than the Ruger. I will shoot the Ruger No. 1.
Hey Jim's, I really have to say that Savage platform really looks great. Who made the stock for that rifle??

This is the “Dog“ I’ve chosen to let hunt Deer this year. An Old 15/16“ TC Hawken Stock i got from a Friend here, He had the Crescent Butt Plate Cut off, and a thin Pachmayr Pad installed, I fitted a Lyman 57 SML Tang Peep to it. The Barrel is a Stainless Steel Green Mountain LRH .45 Cal 1:30 Twist, This Barrel use to Belong to Dave Anderson (Cayugad, RIP Ole Buddy, You are Missed!!) I fitted a Lyman 17 AHB Globe Front sight, and will be using a Lee Shaver fine BPCR Pin/Bead Insert in it.
qx2lbXV.jpg

This is the Bullet i chose, Accurate Molds #45-412L, it weighs 411-412 Grains When Cast of Pure Lead. This is very similar to Ed’s 390 Grain Bullet, Same Body, I chose a slightly Different Ogive/Nose profile.
JB2krB5m.jpg

mrhunterken: That was a Richard's Microfit Exhibition stock. They are a good stock for the money IF you are willing to put a lot of your own labor into getting them ready. They come about 97% action inletted but the outside can be pretty rough and it takes time to get them where you want them.
I did the sanding, finishing etc. My daughter's like it because I load it light and they have gotten most of their deer with it.

CVA Accura V2, Nitride with thumbhole stock
BH 209, going with 260 or 300 grain Harvesters depending on which property I hint.

Attachments

• F8943DD2-2BEF-42B4-A5D4-25A9DC195000.jpeg
    F8943DD2-2BEF-42B4-A5D4-25A9DC195000.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 4
Dang, we all have too many choices. I finally got my Accura .45 LR to shoot (after CVA replaced the barrel). I just tried some 310 gr. .401 OT Fury bullets on Monday. They have the .275 sectional density I'm looking for in an elk bullet, and shoot well. I was using 80 gr. vol. BH209. Last winter, I had the first misfire of my life on a very cold day at the range. Makes me a little nervous about the Accura. My old Kanke .50 shoots just as well, with #11 caps, and 777, and the worst it has ever done is a hang fire.

Dang, we all have too many choices. I finally got my Accura .45 LR to shoot (after CVA replaced the barrel). I just tried some 310 gr. .401 OT Fury bullets on Monday. They have the .275 sectional density I'm looking for in an elk bullet, and shoot well. I was using 80 gr. vol. BH209. Last winter, I had the first misfire of my life on a very cold day at the range. Makes me a little nervous about the Accura. My old Kanke .50 shoots just as well, with #11 caps, and 777, and the worst it has ever done is a hang fire.
Good to here the Accura got fixed. Ive had a couple misfires in mine. I can tell you that all mine were my fault. Not drying the bore well enough after a cleaning or forgetting to put a wad under the bullet... dumb stuff like that.

Latest posts

Back