What reminds you?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What reminds you about deer hunting. Alabama reminds me.

Anytime i see Alder Trees, and LOTS of Rainy, Wet Weather. I was born & raised on the Wa Coast, i cut my teeth hunting Blacktail Deer, They loved Alder Tree Patches. Some of the NASTIEST, Wettest Days you could be out there, was some of the very best Times to Hunt Blacktail :lewis:

wDhAvh3.jpg

These Big Fungal Conks were a Common thing on the Wa Coast, i have seen some GIANT ones over the years while hunting. My Grandmother use to Dry them, And do Oil Painting scenes on them
upBqQqG.jpg

There's so many for me but the first one that came to mind was the smell of the bush and birdsong after a dump of rain, with maybe a drizzle and cool wind blowing. The smell of a eucalyptus forest after a rain is amazing and no matter where I am reminds me of hunting.

Back when I was first starting to hunt deer I did a ton of still hunting....take 8-10 steps, stop and study the surroundings. I got super aware of how the wind worked. My most favorite time to hunt was an early morning with a gentle snow falling on a light breeze just ahead of a major winter front. I can't even remember how many deer I walked up on bedded and noticed because they shook snow off their backs. Many of those deer came home with me.

About 10 years ago I watched early football on the last day of the deer season because things had been dead in the woods I hunt. At half time there was a blurb on the weather that said we were going to switch from light drizzle to snow by mid-afternoon so I donned the boots and some mid-weight orange and headed up the hill thinking I could get scores later. I played the wind and used a different route up the mountain and half way I started catching glimpse of a deer moving ahead of me about 200 yards out so I switched my approach and an hour later when I got to where my stand is found there were maybe 8 does and fawns working the edge of a stubble field and what was going to be my largest buck slowly approaching them. He was maybe 30-35 yards ahead of me going straight away and into the wind. I got a nice quartering shot and took a high shoulder/neck shot. He dropped on the spot. He was wearing very nice 9 point headgear and to date the heaviest buck I've take off that hill scaling 236 dressed. Half way up that hill that afternoon the drizzle went to light snow and by the time I hit the stand things were just beginning to get white.

Even though snow just complicates things for me today I still love to hunt a light to moderate snowfall as long as its not a howler with wind..

I need to explain the “Alabama” reference. My first archery hunt we borrowed my dads truck and headed out to the mountains. The only tapes that were in the truck were an Alabama cassette and a Willie Nelson cassette. Every time I hear one of those old Alabama songs. It takes me back to that weekend.

The musty smell in the forest after the leaves are falling/decaying after a rain. Gets me every year!
I use the thunder shotgun for squirrels in September to get ready for the November muzzleloader season in my mind.

Back