What sabot?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chick

Reaction score
I have been using the MMP 3 petal EZ sabot, in my CVA, with great groups. A friend shoots a CVA and tried the red Crush Rib sabot, and his groups went to a third the size. I have shot the black, but never red, and waiting on the red crush rib sabots to arrive.

I have tried several sabots and bullet combos. Currently I am satisfied with the results I get from the Hornady 250 gr SST Low Drag version which comes the red.

20191101_162446[5956].jpg

If you're like me you don't get much of a choice in sabot selection. Muzzleloaders are not machined to the specifications that center fire rifles are. So each barrel can be a little different in bore diameter. Depending on the manufacturer and dimensions. Crush rib sabots slide down my barrel like a kid on a slippery slide with a rock tied to his but. If you are having issues getting the bullet/sabot down the barrel (tight fit) then you may want to measure your barrel and get the proper sabot, the one that best fits your rifle. If I'm not mistaken, the crush rib sabots were made for tight fitting barrels. The ribs make it easier to get it down the bore. The bullet diameter also can play a role in this. I measure them to ensure proper fit. I have seen some that said .452 on the box but were actually .451. IMHO you would want to find the best fit for your rifle barrel. I hope this make sense.

There red crush rib sabots were originally made for the smokeless rifles for a tight fit. See the pic for loaded diameters. 0.508" with a .452" diameter bullet.

sg1kyw.jpg

I have been using the MMP 3 petal EZ sabot, in my CVA, with great groups. A friend shoots a CVA and tried the red Crush Rib sabot, and his groups went to a third the size. I have shot the black, but never red, and waiting on the red crush rib sabots to arrive.
Jimmer and Busta both gave good answers on this . I believe Busta's pic is from a sticky thread .
It helped me to think more of the fitted sizes of bullet and sabot combinations rather than brand names when i was sorting all this out . You gotta know your exact barrel i.d. or you remain lost . Once you know that its just math !!! Super easy !!! Somewhere between .002 to .004 thou loaded bullet in sabot larger than bore land diameter will be your sweet spot . Then you can begin to also index your sabot so you get maximum contact with the bores lands . I.E.--4 sabot petals , 8 lands = 2 lands per petal when you load . Thats how this is done .

Well, this doesn't seem very true to me. Never have known the ID of any barrel, yet things have worked quite well when loading, and shooting. A little experimenting is all it takes.
All depends if you want to wander around looking and experimenting and spending money OR go directly to bore size , loaded sabot size with the provided sticky and pretty well KNOW if its gonna work or not . Makes sense to me .

I get what you're saying about knowing the i.d of the barrel and the bullet/sabot chart, things should come together quicker finding the bullet/load for the gun... and cost less getting there

I get what you're saying about knowing the i.d of the barrel and the bullet/sabot chart, things should come together quicker finding the bullet/load for the gun... and cost less getting there
Exactly !!! Thats why somebody went to all that trouble posting it , stickying it for reference . Very Nice !!!!
I got tired of not knowing my bore sizes and bought Starett small hole guages so i would Know Exactly where i was at . We buy compasses so were not lost dont we ??? Hell yea !!! Whats the difference ???
Thanks for recognizeing the simplicity !!!

If a 3P-EZ shoots great in yours, you will probably pop a vein trying to load a red crushrib. If you wanted just a little tighter you would be better off trying the standard Harvester EZ-Load sabots for upto 300gr bullets. My NULA with its .500 land to land shoots that sabot great and its a tough sabot.

All depends if you want to wander around looking and experimenting and spending money OR go directly to bore size , loaded sabot size with the provided sticky and pretty well KNOW if its gonna work or not . Makes sense to me .

You really believe one should should know just one sabot, and one bullet for one's rifle?

One has far more knowledge if one has tried more than one sabot/bullet. Trying different sabot, and bullets is fun to do when not hunting. If one tries two bullet/sabot, one has doubled one's knowledge. To be a successful shooter, and to enjoy the shooting, one definitely doesn't need to know the id of one's barrel.

......You gotta know your exact barrel i.d. or you remain lost ..........
False.

You really believe one should should know just one sabot, and one bullet for one's rifle?

One has far more knowledge if one has tried more than one sabot/bullet. Trying different sabot, and bullets is fun to do when not hunting. If one tries two bullet/sabot, one has doubled one's knowledge. To be a successful shooter, and to enjoy the shooting, one definitely doesn't need to know the id of one's barrel.

False.
Who says i stop at one combination ??? I would just MUCH RATHER take a easier informed route . To know exactly what you got doesnt remove experimentation , it broadens it with precision !!!! That IMO beats throwing my wallet at it guessing . Beats walkin around the woods tryin to cipher which side has the most moss on a given tree . What i offered enables anyone to figure out what THEY NEED . It teachs somebody how to do it -- for themselves . Plenty of wander room for all with predictable results . Much more efficent for time , money , and satisfaction of " I did it !!! " . How in good conscience can you declare thats wrong ??? Give a man a fish he eats for a day , TEACH HIM HOW and he eats for a lifetime . Theres no pockets in caskets and id much rather give my help away now for THEIR good . Nothing self serving in that and my concious can remain clear . Thats MY motives . I didnt attack anyone . Thats not FALSE .

Last edited:
Back