what scope???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckyne

Reaction score
Okay NE just changed the rules and will allow magnified scopes on muzzleloaders now. Can I get some suggestions on which scope to use. I have a disc elite with no iron sights so I was planning on using a red dot scope with no magnification. Now I think I will look for something in the 2-7 range. Do I really need a 3-9 or bigger scope for a muzzleloader? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You don't really need a bigger scope for most hunting unless you anticipate long range shots. However, the extra magnification is really handy at the range.

I use a leupold fxII 4x33 and works real well for me.
I think I paid 270 at cabelas.

This is what I have on my disc Elites.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-1277-185-bushnel ... scope.aspx

this is what I have on my TC Pro Hunter barrels.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-1525-259-zeiss-3 ... scope.aspx

I hunt a combination of open farm fields, food plots and thick cover. The variable power allows me a choice to match the conditions that I hunt. The 40mm gives me a pretty good sight picture in low light conditions.

You have lots of other choices. Look here for other ideas.
http://www.swfa.com/c-2183-riflescopes.aspx

Just curious; did you send your trigger group back to Knight for a free trigger job? They took away the creep and dropped the pull to 2.5lbs pull. All it cost me was the shipping cost to them. Great customer service and turn around time.

The Omega I hunt with has a Leupold VariX II 2-7X on it and I like very much, but for working up loads and really testing for accuracy, more magnification is nice. For hunting though, 7X is plenty, IMO

And, again IMO, made in USA Leupold is worth every penny. Burris has some nice scopes made here too.

scope

I've hunted in NE, get a 3x9 40 mm. You have all types of errain from the breaks at the Platte to the prairies to the farms all types so a long shot is quite possible. Any of the scopes lisrted above will work for ya" Hunt Safe

thanks guys. I will have to see what the wife gives me for a budget but I think the nikon BDC looks pretty good. I doubt that I will be shooting much over 100. 150 max but the higher magnification might be nice just in case. Now I just have to decide if I get the quick release base and rings from leupold. I am thinking I will since cleaning the gun is a little more involved than a high power rifle. The last thing I want to have happen is get the scope all gunked up with the stuff I clean the gun with.

IMHO - Every time you remove a scope - you will need to re-sight it. Basically, a scope goes on to stay.

Simple solution is scope covers.

If you are shooting 100 yards or less you may want to look at the red dot scopes - pretty nice.

I can't seem to decide between a red dot or a 4X Leupold I have for my ML.

Rich M said:
IMHO - Every time you remove a scope - you will need to re-sight it. Basically, a scope goes on to stay.

i have the luepold QR-W mounts and remove the scope every time i clean the gun i remove the scope. i have a 100% confidence that it returns to zero when it goes back on, it is a nice feature to be able to remove the scope.

Truly? That's awesome...

I was raised with the whole never expect your scope to shoot right if you take it off & put it back on or change bullets (brands or weights).

Time to re-program the nugget.

yes truely! there is others on here that have great luck with the warne version of the quick release as well. your zero probley will change though with the switch of bullets even if they are the same weight. good luck

Camerland had the Nikon BDC for $225.00. The Leopold "QR" mounts are the best scope base/ring set-up ever made for a muzzleloader.

Chocdog

I second Choc-Dog's statement on the Leupolds. I have a Omega BDC on a Pro-Hunter with their QR base & mounts and they lock into place and return to zero after re-installing. I also have these same base and rings on an older Encore and get the same return to zero results.

Curtis

Latest posts

Back