What size cleaning patches do you prefer?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach.trumble

Reaction score
Just curious if size makes a difference. 2" 3"? Round square?

What is your preference and why?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Re: What size cleaning patches do you prefer?

2" round paper composite patches.

I bought a box of thousands off ebay for cheap. At first I thought I was in trouble because they were paper vs cloth ( thought I was buying cloth ) but they work equally as well. I'll look for them again if I ever run out.

Right now I have 2 inch square patches that feel like they are made out of drier sheets and I hate them it seems like it takes twice as many to do the job but it's the only thing sold locally.

2" round Pro Shot patches. They were recommended to me on this forum so I picked some up and they are an excellent cleaning patch.

2" round Pro Shot patches. They were recommended to me on this forum so I picked some up and they are an excellent cleaning patch.

2 in. Round , waffer pattern, paper?? Not as good as cotten, but the price is right 8$ per k. I buy them at local gun shows. I use them for the initial clean up then finish up with cotten.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

I'm old, cheap(one syllable word for frugal) and have time on my hands... go to walmart and buy flannel material and cut my own patches...using mostly 2 1/2" for 45 & 50 cal, but also make for centerfire... cut different sizes and try with proper cleaning jag then go to town with a good ruler and an ink pen to lay out my template... now thinking that it would be just as easy to make a template the proper width like the old wooden yard sticks... just lay them flat, square up, mark and cut... I use scissors right now and cut 4-6 layers of material, thinking of going to a rotary cutter to try.

I cut up my old cotton t-shirts. Probably 2" square is the avg size. They work great and the price is right :yeah:

2" Round ProShot cotton for bore cleaning. Never saw a need for anything larger. I also use 3" square ProShot cotton patches for wrapping around a brush to clean the inside of the action and BP threads.

For me, cotton flannel.
Fluffier and seems to absorb more than anything I've tried.
Size is dependent on my bore/jag fit as well as the length of the jag- 1.5" square seems to be fine for calibers under 50+/-. I make my own jags (about 1" long) and it seems about 0.040" undersized and cotton flannel works best for me - especially considering all I shoot is BP.
I make my own patches (most of the time), a yard of cotton flannel at Walmart will do about 300 patches for about $4. I bought a Fiskars rotary cutting board and rotary cutter probably 20 years ago and it's still in use after thousands of patches.
Experiment a little and find what works best for you.

WV Hunter said:
I cut up my old cotton t-shirts. Probably 2" square is the avg size. They work great and the price is right :yeah:

Ditto.

That looks like a good source. They also have a cleaning solvent that says no-odor non-toxic. might have to try that too

Thank you for your time.

Back