what to blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
been screaching all morning for Blackhorn 209 cant seem to find any checked every where an its on back order,at Midway Natchez Graf,dont know whats happening,Midway says no back order,whats up anybody know.

Im sorry to have to tell you but you are a little late to the party. Its been out everywhere for a little while. I think its a combination of covid, election, and hoarding that have caused a shortage of lots of this stuff. I was in the Sportsmans Warehouse last night and they had lots of Pyrodex and T7 and musket caps. No bh209, 209 or #11 primers, or any smokeless powder. Except oddly, a bunch of e3 powder.

I am going to my walmart today,got about a 1/2 a can may switch over to triple7 have 3 cans of it,but ny knight shoots blackhorn so well.I thought they had stopped producing iit .

Supply and demand. Everything is gone and prices through the roof.

.223 went from $300/1000 to $700/1000 in 6 mos, and that's IF you can find it. Its nuts. Glad I have a bunch, should have bought more I guess.

I personally feel like it’s somewhat difficult to find blackhorn every year at this time. It’s hunting season.

$50.00 is a rip off gouge price.
$50 isn’t a rip off if you need the powder and no one else has any in stock.
I personally feel like it’s somewhat difficult to find blackhorn every year at this time. It’s hunting season.
I think you’re correct. I may be wrong, but I’m betting BH209 shows back up in stock by February or March. I don’t believe that smokeless powder will be readily available any time soon due to more people being reloaders than muzzleloader shooters.

Last week I bought probably the last five cans of BH here in NJ at a mom and pop hunting store. I had to drive 2 HRS to get it but it was worth it. The lady there said no more is coming in until next year. I would start calling all the small shops where you live and be ready to drive a distance to get it. Good luck.

I'm new to the game as I just started with my first ML. Sportsmans Warehouse locally doesn't have any in stock and I can't order any online, but, the S.W. 40 miles away has it so I picked up 5 jugs at about $40 each. There are other S.W.'s in the state that have it, but many are out it seems.
My take is the powder manufactures are going to produce the powders most popular first, and it won't be for muzzleloaders.

Part of the reason is that Western Powders (BH209 )was bought out by Hodgdon Powders. My supplier said it's going to get worse now that they own them. I paid $42 last trip and was glad they it.
Ive said repeatadly when Hodgdon bought Western the price of BH will go up. Their pencil pusher figures if your willing to pay $1.00 or more for a projectile you will pay the same for the powder. I think you will see more than $50.00 in the future. Im guessing $75.00-$85.00

I will quit smoking unless its Swiss. I already have 2 SMLs and conicals shoot great with Swiss so i will refuse to pay that kinda cash for BH209.

Read its going to be like this for 2-3 more years, high prices/no availability.
Shot pyrodex for years and liked it easy to get good accuracy just a little more of a pain to clean well.

I stopped by my favorite blackpowder shop today. I bought an extra bottle of Swiss 2F, some German Dynamit Nobel #11 caps along with some other miscellaneous stuff.
The Swiss was $28.95 and the caps were$7.99 per can per 100. I did not think that was too bad. They also had lots of BH209 Powder for $42.95 a bottle.

Latest posts

Back