what to blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would believe they’ve only discontinued the 5 pound container.

Scheels showed the 10 oz container as discontinued a week ago. Now I believe midway has discontinued both sizes. Could be they just aren’t holding a spot for it on their shelves but my money says Hodgdon bought it, is renaming something else (Triple 8?) and will then have a SKU for it but no availability anywhere. Just my prediction.

Is it possible they advertise as “Discontinued” due to change in ownership?
Hodgdon. New / different liability issue. Until they start receiving under the Hodgdon banner.
Just a thought.

Last edited:
Encore, TY for your endorsement. It is a thought.
Hodgdon has been and is a great company. No matter how it’s spelled. lol.

Hodgdon does not list it on their website. Western Powders does, somewhat. But since Western is now owned by Hod, who knows what will happen.

As for Walmart, this part of Kalifornia doesn't carry powders, primers, pistol ammo nor Black Rifle ammo, and no guns whatsoever. It's depressing living in this liberal bastion.
And only one Mom and Pop GS within miles that I haven't visited in years because of the salesman's attitude. They are supposed to be a Goex dealer. If I get up that way I'll have to stop in.

It's my thinking that it's time to start a letter writing and email campaign to Hogdston and inquire when BH 209 will be available again. The same way you write your politicians about their stupid gun law proposals.

I just received this email from Hodgdon:
Help Account <[email protected]>
9:43 AM (15 minutes ago)
to me
Hello John, We plan to continue offering Blackhorn 209 powder. When we took over Western powders all Blackhorn 209 for 2020 had already been shipped. We have this powder currently being made and expect it to start showing up retail around late February or Early March.

Thank you

Luke Otte
Technical support
6430 vista dr.
Shawnee, Ks 66218

I just received this email from Hodgdon:
Help Account <[email protected]>
9:43 AM (15 minutes ago)
to me
Hello John, We plan to continue offering Blackhorn 209 powder. When we took over Western powders all Blackhorn 209 for 2020 had already been shipped. We have this powder currently being made and expect it to start showing up retail around late February or Early March.

Thank you

Luke Otte
Technical support
6430 vista dr.
Shawnee, Ks 66218
Shawnee Kansas? I drove all the way up there for a automatic bale wagon. Didn't realize Hodgdon was in the neighborhood.

I searched for BH 209 everywhere. I need powder so for now it’s 777. I can always switch back when it becomes readily available again.

BH was never available on Long Island, no idea why. I had to get it out of state or order it, but ordering it is a hassle for me. Last bottle I got was at SW in Morgantown WV back in Sept for $42. Ran out testing lighter bullets with lighter loads. I was not able to find BH, 777, or Pyrodex near me within about a 200 mile drive. I found Bass Pro in CT showed several Bottles of 777 2f for $32 online early in the week and called to verify it and was told yes they had it but not BH. Called again on Friday night (Planned to drive the 1hr 45min on Saturday to get some and wanted to verify they still had it) and some idiot told me they were all out, He sounded a bit fishy to me. I made some calls on Saturday to no avail. I called back the same Bass Pro but asked for the "Lead" as they call them, Person in charge of the department (Like a Supervisor). She told me I got 6 bottles of 2F and several bottles of 3f. I drove up and bought 5 bottles of 2F. should have just grabbed all 6. The Lead had an Idea of "Who" I spoke to that told me no, I just left that alone. So I am already back to 777. I'll wait to see what happens with Hodgdon and BH before I go back, since it was just getting to be too much trouble for me. Pyrodex and 777 was always easier to get here but the hording has wiped out stock here of about All powders.

I was also told one shop here wanted $165 for 1 LB of Longshot Powder, He can stick that somewhere I will not mention.:mad:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back