What to choose for first muzz

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff50316

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the site black powder. I'm looking to buy a ml and I have a few different options. The first is a tradition tracker 209 that is brand new for around 130 they guy won so I would be saving 30 bucks or so on it. The next is a used knight haven't seen it yet so I don't know what model it is. I do know that it's around 8 yrs old and has a scope on it that cost around 200 3yrs ago. I'm going to beable to Check it out next week when they guy I'm working with brings it. Then was also looking at the yukon combo kit at cabela's that has the scope and comes with every thing you need to go out and start shooting for around 340 I think It was. Thanks for any advice you guys have for a first timer. I plan to use for deer, turkey and the range

I have a Tracker 209. I have to tell you I don't think there is anything wrong with it. It's safe and accurate, with a bad trigger, but it's a cheap gun, so what.....It was an entry into shooting black powder and I wasn't sure I would like it. I still don't like it, I love it.

If you know you like shooting muzzleloaders, go for a better gun. Everyone on this site likes T/C's, CVA's, Knights, Rem700ML's.

TC's and CVA's both have new models that have been discussed favorably at the low end of the price range.

There is a post that will discuss how to check out a used gun, mostly I think you are looking for a clean, non-pitted bore. I'll look for it...

For the money the CVA Optima w/ SS barrel and thumbhole stock is hard to beat. Check it out at Wal Mart.

smyers717 said:
For the money the CVA Optima w/ SS barrel and thumbhole stock is hard to beat. Check it out at Wal Mart.
Ditto one heck of a rifle at one heck of a price

jeff50316

I tell everyone.....buy the one that fits YOU and makes you happy but there are some things to consider.

1) Are you just going to be a seasonal hunter or an enthusiast? Many guns will do well for seasonal use. An enthusiast will likely prefer a better rifle.

2) Are you sure muzzle loading is something you are you will like? If not dont jump in with all your cash but buy something you wont lose much on if you decide to sell. A Knight in the right price range will always sell for good money and so will the newer CVA such as the Optima or any Accura.

3) I highly recommend a stainless gun if you can afford it for a first gun just because its a little more forgiving if you dont clean it that night. BH209 powder is less corrosive so it can help that too. Plus they tend to re-sell a bit better.

4) Is it being a very clean shooter high on your list of wants/needs? My old LK isnt clean but for well under $200 is was a steal.

5) Also check the "bargain bins" at Cabelas and BassPro. I got a total steal on a very desirable low serial # Knight Elite at BP for a third of MSRP off the "Clearance rack".

Now for your current options and i would strongly look at our classifieds. Right now there is a beautiful Knight Extreme 50 with a walnut stock for $325. IMO they are one of the top three guns made with a lot of aftermarket support and adjustable trigger.

Im not a Traditions fan but im not going to bash them either. There current pricing IMO is too high compared to other current models.

A Knight is very good or better condition is usually a safe bet. I bought a 1995ish LK93 which is the old style inline and it an awesome older design but not the cleanest.

The Yukon is one of the few Traditions that may be a fairly good first gun ( i kinda like them) but for $340, CVA has several good options and the new T/C Impact is also in the same price range. IMO both may be a better choice.

I would really like for you to find out which Knight you can get and report back. It may be a gem looking for a good home.

fla shooter said:
smyers717 said:
Ditto one heck of a rifle at one heck of a price

x3

A great shootin rifle for only $225
105_9115.jpg

All good advise you will find on these forums. :wink:

I tell everyone.....buy the one that fits YOU and makes you happy but there are some things to consider.

Is up on the top I think...makes no sense buying boots that don't fit ya.
As for the Tradition brand...well I like mine, and so do many other forum members here. Get what won't empty your wallet then you will have fun buying the other needed tools of the trade.

cheers,

Cell

I too would wait to take a gander at that Knight. You can always buy one of the current models for stated price. It was pointed out by the first reply there was a bad trigger issue. Many of the Knight models had wonderful trigger assemblies, and also as pointed out, some can be had for a song. I shoot nothing but MK-85's. I don't need blackhorn, super primers, or range finding reticles. You'll find that #11 cap ignition with true BP or a like substitute will fill your shooting needs nicely. I have the utmost faith in my MK-85's and regularly hunt them during regular firearm season. Haven't had a misfire yet with any of the three.

It wouldn't be my first, would be the 2nd, but the price is just too low not for me to get an Accura. I have an Omega, but I can get an Accura for exactly 1/2 the price. It's okay to have more than one, isn't it?

Thx for all the info guys going to go bass pro and wal mart to check some out and hope to find out more about the knight this weekend too

I just looked at the SS Thumbhole Optima again last night at Wal Mart for $257.00. Man its tempting!!

Tankhead said:
It wouldn't be my first, would be the 2nd, but the price is just too low not for me to get an Accura. I have an Omega, but I can get an Accura for exactly 1/2 the price. It's okay to have more than one, isn't it?

A shooter should always have at least 6 muzzle loaders to play with

I've told my wife the same thing!! Six is fine. I just need a long rifle!! :wink:

First Muzzleloader

I'd recommend a Traditions Buckstalker for a first ML. It's light, accurate, and easy to clean and shoot. Traditions also makes a great 3-9X40 ML scope.

I just got the Thompson Center Impact. The price is reasonable and it is really accurate. Three shots = a doe and coyote.

I just got the Thompson Center Impact. The price is reasonable and it is really accurate. Three shots = a doe and coyote.

wymuley said:

Why did it take "three shots" to get a doe and a coyote? :lol:

Re: First Muzzleloader

hunter177 said:
I'd recommend a Traditions Buckstalker for a first ML. It's light, accurate, and easy to clean and shoot. Traditions also makes a great 3-9X40 ML scope.

I would not agree with a buckstalker. They had a rack of these at Scheeles on sale for 219. They didn't come with the thumb grabber for the hammer and the front sights seemed to be made of plastic. All the stocks on the front seemed lose as well. For the 219 I would add a bit more and get end entry level TC or CVA.

Back