What to do with my Encore...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doegirl

Reaction score
Since I've acquired my Savage, I've really lost interest in my Encore as a muzzleloader. I'm figuring out what do with it, I still like it and want to keep it. I'm thinking either a 20gauge slug gun barrel or a centerfire barrel for coyotes and out of state hunting. Any insight on either of those options? Calibers I'm thinking in line of 25-06, .308, .270 up to perhaps 30-06. No magnums. And will a Encore slug gun kick the bejeezus out of me?

Batchief909 said:
And will a Encore slug gun kick the bejeezus out of me?

Yes,,it will. Trust me on this one... :shock:

And the possibilities have instantly been narrowed down...I'll have to look at the T/C website to see the caliber list for Encore barrels.

Since I don't own an Encore I'm not sure about the recoil thing. However for what you want it for, coyotes and out of state hunting, I think the 25-06 would be a good choice. Recoil shouldn't be as bad as with the other calibers.

Since I've acquired my Savage, I've really lost interest in my Encore as a muzzleloader.

That's EXACTLY as it should be! :wink:

I think the 25-06 would be a good choice.

Me too. I like the 7mm08 here too.

Since I've acquired my Savage, I've really lost interest in my Encore as a muzzleloader.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As far as a CF caliber for your Encore...

.260 for me... thank you very much! :lol: 8)
I also have a 6.8 SPC for my G2 that I like very much! On an Encore frame it would be nothing at all!

MidwayUSA has an excellent selection of barrels... EABCO also has a few good calibers as well.

The 25-06 would be the lightest recoiling rifle of those you list and would handle what you want. I have shot that cartridge since 1962, still have it and still happy with it. The others aren't high recoiling cartridges either whatever one you choose.

Doegirl, I'd certainly consider a .243 if I were wanting an Ohio Coyote cartridge that I could use for out of state hunting for up to say black bear.
.243 is a nice cartridge if you are not a reloader in that you can buy factory varmint rounds that will fragment as opposed to ricocheting. Yet there are many choices available in factory .243 cartridges for larger game as well.
Best of luck,
Ridge

Batchief909 said:

You guys are killing me..... :lol: :lol: :wink:

I guess you are going to say she needs a Disc Elite! :D JUST KIDDING! :twisted: :lol:

You know the SAME exact thing has happened to me, and I said it never would. My other conventional muzzleloaders are just sitting here. Really they are. Am I getting lazy or WHAT?

You know the SAME exact thing has happened to me, and I said it never would. My other conventional muzzleloaders are just sitting here. Really they are. Am I getting lazy or WHAT?

My sidelock gets equal play time with the Savage. BUT they're two different animals entirely. The Encore became the odd man out. It lacks the "old school" appeal of the caplock and lags behind the Savage on performance, ease of cleaning, and recoil. Plus I no longer have to deal with that darn TRIPLE SEVEN CRUD RING! :evil:

For Factory loads you're going to have a better range of bullet selection with the .243, choices from 55 gr up to 100 gr bullets, next is the 25.06 with factory loads between 90 and 120 grain. Then moving up to the 7mm-08 which is the being touted as the new do-it-all cartridge, but is there really one that does it all? I personally think the 30.06 comes much closer to doing that with the range of bullet selection but it's not what you would call recoil friendly. For me a 22-250 & a 30.06 covers everything. But if i had to choose one barrel for factory loads for shooting everything from Ground Hogs to Whitetail you can't go wrong with the .243

doegirl, one thing you might want to look at is that there are two different barrel types, a 24" sporter weight w/ sights and a 26" heavy barrel w/ no sights. the 26" barrel isn't available in all calibers:

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/encoreRifleCharts.php

of course, you might prefer the sporter weight barrel. but if you're wanting the heavier barrel, you might want to look at the .25-06 or even the 6.8 spc

I'm really surprised no one picked a 22-250. That would be a great all around varmint round. It would also make for a back up Deer Rifle.

Grouse said:
I'm really surprised no one picked a 22-250. That would be a great all around varmint round. It would also make for a back up Deer Rifle.

You know I was thinking the EXACT same thing! With the 10ML-II doegirl all ready has a 200yd deer rifle...the 22-250 would be a GREAT target/varmint round. Of course recoil is no issue.

I got my wife the stainless 26" barrel in .223 for target and varmints. Excellent accuracy with 50 gr V-max or 52gr hp. Mainly she likes it because the recoil is very low and she can shoot the lights out with it.

tooldog

I agree that the 22-250 is an excellent varmint round and has low recoil, but in a lot of places it's not legal for deer. Something to keep in mind.

big6x6 said:
Grouse said:

You know I was thinking the EXACT same thing! With the 10ML-II doegirl all ready has a 200yd deer rifle...the 22-250 would be a GREAT target/varmint round. Of course recoil is no issue.

Really paper, coyotes, and woodchucks would be the primary targets. Out of state deer hunting would be a very infrequent use. And, I could just use the Savage for the occasion I do get to hunt out of state. The 22-250 sounds like a plausible choice :D

doegirl said:
big6x6 said:
Grouse said:

Really paper, coyotes, and woodchucks would be the primary targets. Out of state deer hunting would be a very infrequent use. And, I could just use the Savage for the occasion I do get to hunt out of state. The 22-250 sounds like a plausible choice :D

looks like grouse and big 6x6 are steering you in the right direction. The 22-250 is a great choice for targets and varmits. however they are not legal for deer in several states. If it were me and I wanted an all around rifle it would have to be the .243. It will do everything you ask of it. Targets, varmits, whitetail deer up to mule deer. It offers light recoil,good accuracy, and a good selction of factory ammo.

depending on how serious a varmiter you will be, the .223 has cheaper factory ammo than the .22-250. just browsing through my cabelas shooting catalog here, there are tons of choices of cheapo .223 ammo (not sure how good it is). that being said ... the .22-250 will beat the .223 at extended ranges

Latest posts

Back