What to do?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperKirby

Reaction score
The muzzleloader only thread got me thinking so I thought I'd post it here. See what some of the other members think.

I've been muzzleloader only for about 12 years. About 6 years ago I started thinking about bowhunting. It definitely has some advantages - no clean up, 3 month season. Last year I got a bow and hunted the season. It was awesome because I saw more deer though I didn't shoot one. Mid October the ML bug bit again and I finished hunting the rut by my mind was on the muzzleloader season.
This year I've been planning to be ML only again until mid July when I checked my trail cams. There was a nice buck on it in early July. Checked them again and 1 month later almost to the day he was there again. While I don't have any amazing pictures of him I can say that I suspect he's a once in a lifetime buck. Not record setting or anything like that, but appears to be a 10 pt, real wide and lots of mass.The initial excitement from seeing him had me thinking I needed to bowhunt. I started shooting my bow again and remembered that I enjoyed bowhunting but not shooting my bow. Too repetitive. But it was worth it for a better chance at this buck.
Here we are a month later, food plots are in and coming up real nice, cameras show lots of does, fawns, and smaller bucks but not this big guy. The excitement for bowhunting is mostly gone again, but then I occasionally pull up this picture and think I really need to get out there.
So do I hunt bow season a few times to be out hunting and maybe get a chance to see him? Or should I stick to my gut and just wait until ML season rolls around? Is killing a big deer so important that I do whatever it takes? Or do I risk not seeing him, the people around us getting him, or any other event that could happen that would keep me from seeing him but know that if I shoot a deer I did it the way I would prefer? MN only allows one deer where I'm at so that limits it as well.

I prefer Muzzleloader over bow, but bowhunting is enjoyable for me.

I'm a fair weather bow hunter, meaning not only if the actual weather is good but also my schedule is open, nothing going on, etc.

I'm a take 2 weeks off from work to hunt muzzleloader hunter.

If it were me, I would definitely be in the woods during bow season, but with my mind thinking ahead towards first day of muzzleloader.

The questions you ask can only be answered by you. However, by bow hunting you can scout, check trail cams and generally keep tabs on what deer are out there. Although deer patterns will be different in those first two weeks of December than they are now you'll still have an idea if that big boy is still out there. In MN there's no better time to be out in the woods than in Sept. and October. You never know, he might just stop in front of you while you are on stand too.

Good Luck,

I started bowhunting a few years ago because my daughters wanted to try it, but I don't love it. I'm pretty happy killing any adult deer, but bow season to me doesn't feel like deer season. Deer season is supposed to be cold and the ground is supposed to be white and I'm supposed to be carrying a rifle. If I had the buck of a lifetime on camera I'd probably be trying to figure out how to kill it.

I love bowhunting too... though the past 7-8yrs I haven't done nearly as much as I used to because my kids and sports. Just haven't has as much time. I look forward to the day that I can go back to spending alot of time scouting, hanging stands, and bow hunting.

I'd be out after him... you can't get him if you don't go! Bowhunting for me is the best time to be out...the deer are not spooked, the guns aren't banging yet, etc. I've shot quite a few...but have been unsuccessful at taking any big bucks thus far. Mainly because one of the main places I hunt the bigger bucks don't live there - they tend show up right about the rut & start of ML season.

I was bowhunting before I started muzzy. Bow is awesome, the season always starts first, you can get them while still in their summer patterns, and thay are always less pressure shy early seasons. Nowadays, Ill usually take the muzzy if seasons overlap, but I wont hesitate to grab a bow for more days afield. Around the northeast Bowhunters definitely claim the lions share of total harvest. Theres more season for them. Bow here starts about first of sept, but I wont hunt until at least a few frosts. I just cant take all the parasites. (ticks, chiggers, flys, etc)

Just took up archery last year. Got a doe with the cross bow and enjoyed it hugely.
But I am a gun hunter and specifically a muzzleloader. Bows, vertical or cross, make no smoke. They do not announce the passing of a magnificent creation. We all wonder at the sound of a shot...

I'm like Squeeze. I just need any excuse to get me into the woods! I think bow hunting before the muzzy season, as well as squirrel hunting really sharpens you up for the later deer seasons.
Magnum

Tough choices....I only recently started shooting mzldrs....hunted with my knight ul last fall for deer in Idaho during rifle season...blew a 50 yard opportunity in timber because I couldn't see the antlers on top of the head of the two deer..both bucks..both good bucks....but no scope on the gun at the time and to many shadows playing tricks....
I grew up on the Oregon coast...hunted bow and rifles...chased elk and blacktails...you have to make your choice early there because once season is started tag sales are done...no switching to rifle season after bow season...pick your poison...
Early archery elk are a lot of fun to hunt...back then i didnt have alot of competition with other hunters...bow hunting just was a disgraceful thing....fine with me..I saw lots of elk...killed several...even one as close as 6'....he just couldn't be any more curious......but while elk hunting I often saw big bucks..but usually way off in the distance and making their escape....so it is awesome to see big bucks during bow season but tough to get a crack at them....
The one awesome hunt that Oregon has for deer is the later season deer hunts...when they are coming into rut...the catch on this is that as they close the units down south they open them up north....so it not only extends your seasons but gives you an opportunity to hunt many places in the state....
I have a 150" blacktail on my wall from a bowhunt...awesome deer...perfect 30 yard spot and stalk...I have seen bigger blacktail...its what keeps the blood boiling...but i now live in idaho...last year I chased whitetails....didn't see an antler just butts in the trees....
Chase it with a bow or mzldr....it is your quest...but if you get to hunt bow then turn around to mzldr.....what better is there....when opportunity knocks.....shoot.....

If you enjoy being in the woods and have the time, go for it. As far as Big Horn hunting I did it for years. But after 5 or 6 years it just wasn't fun anymore Setting in a tree for days and months passing good deer for a shot at a great deer.Now I shoot what makes me happy. If you have a season that starts soon and can get him on his summer pattern ( not sure if you do if only getting a pic a month ) then you have a good shot. Pre rut is always fun, but if I only had one season to hunt big deer and had Private land with food plots it would be Late Dec. They have time to settle down from rifle season, it"s cold and they have to eat, and the second rut kicks in atleast around here. I've read somewhere your best chance at a deer is your first sit. Good luck with whatever you decide, just HAVE FUN.

Yep, you guys have pretty much summed up the exact two lines of thought I had. I love to be in the woods and it's a great excuse to be out there. On the other hand, if I were to hunt it, I would much rather shoot a deer with my muzzleloader, so I would probably only plan to shoot a nice 8 or bigger. I hunted a couple times a week through all of bow season last year and never saw anything bigger than a 6. I guess I'm torn between taking time away from the family to do something I love (be in the woods) using the possibility of "what if?" Or wait until ML season when I have a week off and hopefully the weather will be more like "hunting weather."
I suspect I'll probably sneak out a few times here and there but I don't think I'll go too crazy trying to push it as a priority.

I can see how only have one deer tag could alter the decision making process. If you're waiting for a big deer and truly want to use your ML, essentially bowhunting is "scouting" season, because once you tag something you're done.

I'm lucky that here in Virginia I get 6 tags to start with, and I can easily acquire additional antlerless tags. So I enjoy my time in the woods, and if anything comes within range I'll tag it as a bonus, because I know I have plenty of tags in my pocket for opening day of ML.

Wow I missed the one deer part. That is tough,we4 would be eating a lot of rabbits here I guess. Deer is about 80% of our meat for the year, we have pretty relaxed laws. 2 bucks only one with firearm and unlimited antlerless for archery and one antlerless per county for firearms. What do youall eat all year? :D

The one deer thing is part of my issue. MN changes limits for each area every year. A couple years ago my area was bucks only and antlerless was by lottery only. The next year it was 1 either sex deer. Last year it was 1 either sex and 1 bonus antlerless. This year it's back to 1 either sex. I'm not going to end my season before December unless it's really worth my while. Unfortunately the deer that's really worth my while hasn't made an appearance since Aug. 3rd.

Back