What to shoot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both get pretty good range reviews. I suppose whatever your bore and wallet are comfortable with. Maybe someone here will give a field / hunting report using either one.

GoexBlackhorn said:
Both get pretty good range reviews. I suppose whatever your bore and wallet are comfortable with. Maybe someone here will give a field / hunting report using either one.
You make a good point. I don't worry to much about cost with a bullet I hunt with. Figuring I'll only shoot a fee rounds anyway. However I shoot a lot at the range just cuz I like it. So once I find something real accurate depending on cost I might also look for something else less expensive. Thought I would start at 80 grns ffg trip 7. Winter is my favorite time to shoot if temps are warm enough. May also upgrade sights with something else for the Lyman Deerstalker I have coming. It was that or the Trade Rifle but found out the 28 inch barrel from it will fit the Deerstalker.

Two barrel options for the Deerstalker sounds good. Twists are different also.....right?

I shoot twice a day while hunting upnorth. So in a week's time, that's 14+ bullets. All of mine cost anywhere from 40 cents (XTPs) to a buck (Platinums). My Precision QTs are about 75 cents on-sale. My roundballs/prelubed patch are probably just over 25 cents.

It is so hard to say what that rifle twist will shoot. I have a friend with a .50 caliber T/C Renegade and that thing is a sabot shooters dream. I have a .50 caliber T/C Renegade, same kind of rifle, and it will not shoot sabots at all. But loaded with patched round ball it will really do a job.

My .50 Grey Hawk 1-48 likes sabots, but nothing heavier than 270gr Speer Gold Dots. 240-250gr are great, 300s are awful.

I shot 410gr Buffalo Bullets over ridiculous powder charges back when I got it, but mastadon and mammoths seem pretty scarce these days. :lol: PRBs never shot particularly well regardless of ball size, patch, lube, and powder charge. Sabots shot like a laser if wiped between shots. I found a .54 barrel and it shot PRBs very well with almost no experimentation, so that barrel is in the stock.

Latest posts

Back