What would you do? Long, sorry.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutoy

Reaction score
I've got a bit of a delima, if you want to call it that... Let me set the sceen.

My part of the state started an extended muzzleloader deer season a couple years ago. It allows us two extra weeks to hunt. It started this past Monday.
I've got a few people, (two females and one male, not that that makes a difference), that wanted to get in on this extra "chance" to get thier deer, so they bought muzzleloaders earlier this year,, back around March.
Lets just say, thier shooting skills are not marksman quality, but thats not the issue,, well not totally anyways.
I try to get them to go shot before deer season every year, but the effort usually falls on deaf ears.
Anyways, I offered to set up thier ML's, get the scopes mounted, cleaned up and ready to shoot. I also told them to get with me on the other "stuff" they were going to need.
I ordered a butt load of powder, primers, sabots and bullets earlier back during early summer. We're ready to go,,, right?
They show up with ML's in hand, still in the box, between Christmas and New Years. "Here's our ML's", "you think they will be ready to shoot this weekend?", "and hunt with next week?".
I thought for a second and said "Sure, I'll have them scoped out and ready for a range session this Saturday". "Where's your other stuff you'll need?" What other stuff??? I say "Never mind, I have everything we need to get them dialed in".
Saturday, 2:00 PM, they finally get to the range. They are planning on going deer hunting at 3:30 pm.
I take the first ML, set it on the table and procede to bore site it for 25 yds. "What you doing?",, "I'm bore sighting your ML so it will at least be on paper for the first shot". "Ohhhh".
I then laid all the accessories and components out on the table and began to explain what everything was for. "We DON'T have any of this stuff". "Ahhh, no you don't", "This is why I told you to get with my for a list of goodies you'd NEED".
Anyways, I loaded up and fired the first shot at the bore sight target. A few clicks on the scope and it was right where it needed to be.
Time to move on to the 100 yd target. "Holy hell, you expect us to hit that,,, from this far". My reply, "Your feeders are all set up 100 yds from your blinds. Don't you think you need to be able to hit that target if you plan on shooting at a deer from this distance".
I fired the first 100 yd shot. 1" high and 1" left. Adjusted the scope, fired shot #2,,, cut the bullseye, fired shot #3, 1/2" sbove shot #2. Nice...
Now it's your turn... You need to load, and shot all by yourself. "Huhhhh!!!", "I can't do all that". "Sure you can" I said.
After going over loading 101 AGAIN, they finally get the ML loaded. After gun rest 101 and much coaching, the shot heads down range. The bullet hits the upper left corner of a 14"x14" target. Hmmmm!, Try again.
Loading 101 again.. Rifle rest 101 again.. Shot #2 hits far left mid target.
Both 101's again, shot #3 misses the target totally. I say "Let me shoot once more". Bullseye.
It's now past 3:30 and they are chomping at the bit to head for thier deer stands. I say "This session is to be continued,, right?" They agree they are not ready.
Fast forward to last night. I get a call from the only one of the three that shot thier ML last Saturday. "Can you load up some of those tube thingys and put them on the camp table?" I ask why? It appears one of the others was coming to ML hunt this weekend. I said "What makes you , or them, think they are ready to ML hunt when they havn't even shot thier ML". "I'm sorry, but I'm not going to turn y'all loose with powder and bullets to go wound a deer". CLICK,,, they hung up on me.
It didn't take long for the phone to ring again, except now multiply the drama by 10.
Bottom line is I'm an asshole...

My question is, How would you have handled this?
Am I wrong?

Sorry for the long rant. Maybe I need to cut back on the caffiene.

:evil: :twisted:

Your only problem with this situation was being a nice guy. Had it been me, when they showed up with ML'ers in box, they would have gotten my 2 cents worth and that would have put an end to this nonsense with them. You tried your best to make shooters out of them and they weren't concerned at all with shooting and wounding deer or anything for that matter.
You did the right thing.......It's wantna-be-hunters like this that give us a bad name. :wink:

Ray

You can not and should not allow people untrained and unprepared to use a muzzleloader. You did the right thing. I kind of went through that with two friends who thought I was the sole source for powder, ball, patches, and lube until I finally put my foot down and demanded they take care of their own. And then insisted they practice. Well once they got shooting they enjoyed it.

I wouldn't worry what they say or how they feel. If they can not see the difference of sportsmanlike conduct VS unsportsmanlike conduct.. too bad. Besides they will not clean their rifles most likely and next year they will have rusted out pieces of junk.

Another way to open their eyes.. charge them for the goods they use and the time you spent setting up their equipment. That is a sure fire way to get them to be quiet.

In my ever so humble opinion , you went way , way, way, far out of your way to help these people and they pretty much **** in your cornflakes .Might I suggest to you that it is they who are the assholes and you sir are the hero. You don't really need them in your life. You need to go and have your fun and leave them in their fog-brain, irresponsible,state of denial.

Try what I do with new shooters in my area. (centerfire Rifle & Pistol)
I charge $25.00 an hour for instruction. When they show me that they have become safe and competant, their money is refunded. Of course, you don't tell them that when they start. Additionally, they pay for all ammo & targets used. This, of course, is not refunded.
When cash is involved, people tend to pay more attention.

You can not and should not allow people untrained and unprepared to use a muzzleloader. You did the right thing.

+1 on this statement.

You did the right thing and even went a long way out of your way to help these Fools. :applause: :yeah:

One thing that really bothers me about these type of "Hunter/Shooters" is that they are the ones that will leave the rifles Charged and Primed and then someone really gets hurt.

I agree with the others they do not have any business being in the woods with a firearm expecially a Muzzleloader. They should stick to cartridge type PRELoaded firearms.

You did the right thing. Hell, IMO you saved them from themselves. They would be likely candidates for a "hunting accident".

You did the right thing don't let it ruin your late season hunt. I do have one more question, did they want you to shoot, dress and butcher their deer for them too?

HawgHunter said:
You did the right thing don't let it ruin your late season hunt. I do have one more question, did they want you to shoot, dress and butcher their deer for them too?

LOL, how did you know that.

Heres a update:
One of the three (one of the females) has since decided to spend some time learning how to operate, load and shoot her ML. After a short session, which started out just like before, except this time she paid attention to how the whole process worked.
Wouldn't you know, she shoots a very nice 3 shot group. Then another nice group.
I handed her her powder, primers and bullets. She has been trying to get the accessories needed locally, but all the stores are sold out of what she needs.
I loaded her up a few speed load tubes and hopefully she'll get a chance to get her a deer. Which I'll end up cleaning and processing... :lol:
As for the other two,,, they are still pissed that they havn't been given "thier stuff".
I say tough. They'll get over it...

Thanks for all the encouraging comments.

Nutoy said:
I said "What makes you , or them, think they are ready to ML hunt when they havn't even shot thier ML". "I'm sorry, but I'm not going to turn y'all loose with powder and bullets to go wound a deer". CLICK,,, they hung up on me.
It didn't take long for the phone to ring again, except now multiply the drama by 10.
Bottom line is I'm an asshole...

My question is, How would you have handled this?
Am I wrong?

You are spot on! People have to realize this isn't some darn video game where you just point and click. I was lucky enough this season to get my best friend out during muzzy season and he shot a nice doe. But it was a year long process getting him ready for it.

Better late than never, but I just wanted to say good job. If they are not serious then leave the guns locked in the trunk!! They would only be a danger to themselves and others!

Dan

Latest posts

Back