whats up at knight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwm

Reaction score
anyone know what’s going on with knight, i was considering ordering a nitride ultra lite 45, there are no more listed and the mountaineer in nitride is sold out along with many other guns. this seems strange to me, just wondering if anyone had any info

I think but do not 'no for sure' but Knight may be stopping the Nitride process on their rifles. It was suggested a week, that there was a batch of rifles out for the Nitride finish.

The best way to find out is to email Knight and ask them. Maybe try to reach out to 'Justin'

I have emailed them not long ago, no response, which i was surprised because they have been pretty good in the past. no more nitride seems foolish to me . I bought the ultra lite 45 last year and i now wish I would have gotten it in nitride. my fault if I can’t get one now

I wouldnt mind having a nitride finish on the outside but I wouldnt buy one with the bore nitrided.

Chet, they dip the object to be nitrided and it's a high temp process. There is no way that I'm aware of to do the outside of the barrel only. I had an O DISC .45 1-20 done and after break in its great. What are your concerns with the inside of the barrel being nitrided?

Chet, they dip the object to be nitrided and it's a high temp process. There is no way that I'm aware of to do the outside of the barrel only. I had an O DISC .45 1-20 done and after break in its great. What are your concerns with the inside of the barrel being nitrided?
Harder to load according to some but when i looked at one it was hard for me to tell if the bore was real clean since it appeared dark instead of bright and shiny. I just didnt like the looks. Cant Attest to the harder to load except from someone else
I will stick with blackice like a good white boy :)

I agree it's harder to see if the bore is clean but after it's broke in it cleans up and shines. As far as harder to load, for me that's not the case. I really can't tell the difference. I also like Black Ice but after shooting it a while it will start to burn off in the breech area. At least that has been my experience. My biggest plus for nitriding is that its weatherproof. I can leave my rifle loaded with a fouled barrel all season and not have to worry about corrosion. (I'm lazy)

I totally agree with what you say! Somebody should call Knight earlier in the their time ask for Justin - he can tell us what is really going on.

Well I think you are right - Terry just read on Facebook that they were in Idaho elk hunting! Don't no where they are but up here in north Idaho it is hot and dry and has been for a long time!

Good point, it is fall. it all just seems odd to me ,the lowering of prices , now no nitride ultra lites listed, all nitride mountaineers sold out.i certainly hope the company keeps moving forward, i love the guns they make

I wouldnt mind having a nitride finish on the outside but I wouldnt buy one with the bore nitrided.
What would be the logic to not doing the bore? That is the most critical place that should be done. The process is a molten salt bath at around 1100 degrees and masking is basically impossible. Nitride only makes a barrel last almost indefinitely, even not being cleaned it will resist corrosion, pitting and rusting.

I agree it's harder to see if the bore is clean but after it's broke in it cleans up and shines. As far as harder to load, for me that's not the case. I really can't tell the difference. I also like Black Ice but after shooting it a while it will start to burn off in the breech area. At least that has been my experience. My biggest plus for nitriding is that its weatherproof. I can leave my rifle loaded with a fouled barrel all season and not have to worry about corrosion. (I'm lazy)
One of my employees left to get his degree in mechanical engineering. His senior project was to compare the coefficient of friction in a muzzleloader barrel, one nitrided and the same one bare. The were able to prove that nitride reduces friction in their test and therefore loads easier. I don't know that many would feel the difference, but it's probably safe to say that it is not harder to load.

Back