What's UP?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
About a week ago I was bowhunting, shot at a BIG buck at 25 yards and undershot him. Saddened by this, I replayed the whole senario for a couple days and concluded that the heavy clothing, balaclava, gloves, dimming light and the fact I wear glasses was the reason for the miss.
I shoot regulary and I had not missed a deer in the past 15 years. And I've bowhunted 33.
Yesterday, Magillas FATHER, was led past the same stand by the doe he was pursuing. He was about 5" wider than his ears, 8pts. long brows, and 12-14" G2"s, he was impressive to say the least!
Again, a 25 yard shot, trouble with the sight picture, the shot was low.
After much agonizing over the last two shots I :idea: recalled an incident earlier when my bow had taken a tumble from the tree! I looked it over good and was thankful that no damage had been done, due to the small bush it fell into cushioning the blow. This fall had moved the knock point about one inch! You would think that 33 years of experience with the old stick and string would have taught me something! But NO!, like a stupid ASS, I did'nt even take a practice shot to check things out. :roll: :oops:
I had put a stop to the practice of taking a practice shot each day before leaving the stand. My policy is "sneak in...sneak out" No noise. No talk. No lights.....nothing. Regardless, later after leaving my stand, I should have taken a few shots to check out my gear. If I had, I would be posting a picture that would have made Magilla #1 look like a baby.

Though I am embarrassed....I must share so you won't repeat.
Do as I say ......NOT as I do :oops:

Spitpatch, I Know how you feel. Well we now know that the basics can't ever be forgotten. I now nock the arrow and turn bow sideways and take a good look at arrows angle on riser. Just that simple check would have told me something was wrong. Good luck with that buck.

Hey Spit,

Thanks for sharing the story! It's good to get the good and bad story's from time to time!

Kudos!

Back