When are muzzleloaders regulated as firearms ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preventec47

Reaction score
I've noted some muzzleloaders are un regulated
and some are treated just like a new bolt action
rifle in ATF policies regarding sales etc.

What when and why ?

The guns that are only muzzle loaders are not regulated. Some, like the TC Encore, you can put centerfire barrels on. They are regulated.

If the frame can accept barrels that are breech loading, it's a regulated gun.

I'm no expert; however, that's my understanding.

-Mike
[edited - incorrect info removed]

mikew17361 said:
Also, I believe if the ML can use smokeless powder, its purchase requires a form 4473 (i.e. regulated), at least the initial purchase. -Mike

Not true if the ML is designed for smokeless... it is just like any other ML that is not designed to except barrel swapping to shot or centerfire.

If the action can be made into a centerfire rifle, it is treated as a centerfire rifle. The exception to this was the original Savage 10 ML. It used a standard action with locking lugs and modules that held a primer. The ATF gave Savage a waiver for this gun but made them redesign the gun to the existing ML II in order to be sold without the paperwork/background check.

It depends what state you are from. I know in Illinois you pretty much have to register every blackpowder weapon. When i bought an X-150 i was staying close to chicago and cabelas said i'd have to register it due to Ill. Laws.

I sent it to colorado and just had to wait a few weeks to play with it.

frontier gander said:
It depends what state you are from. I know in Illinois you pretty much have to register every blackpowder weapon. When i bought an X-150 i was staying close to chicago and cabelas said i'd have to register it due to Ill. Laws.

I sent it to colorado and just had to wait a few weeks to play with it.

Maybe around the Communist State of Chicago you had to but not in Central IL... I purchased several ML's (Bass Pro/Cabelas in years past) and never once had to register them with the state. They just needed my FOID card on file, had to go through Cabelas Firearm shop to handle though.

Im in central IL and drove to Indiana to get mine. They said the only thing they do a background check or register is the encore cause you can change barrels.

Latest posts

Back