When do your Bucks Shed their Antlers?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyboy*

Reaction score
When do your Bucks Shed their Antlers? Hunted the Last Day (Jan. 15th) of Nebraska's Seasons Choice Antlerless Season. I found (2) Nice Sheds & Hunting Partner watched one Drop on Jan. 7th! This is WAY EARLIER than Normal for the Area. I Managed to get (2) Does the Final Hour of the Season ;), Sure Glad Neither were Trophy Bucks for Next Year😅!

Here in Iowa I have seen shed bucks as early as the end of December and antlered bucks as late as during turkey season in April. The majority have dropped by mid Feb.I do agree with you on early shedding this year, there were a very high number of one antlered and shed bucks during large muzzy season.

A buddy shot a small buck middle December 2021. We had to track it to find it. When we found it I grabbed a hold of one of the antlers and it popped off. Got to looking the other one had already shed. This was in central ohio

In Minnesota a lot of deer are stressed already and dropping antlers, especially those in the northern part of the state where substantially more snow has fallen. Here in the SE we had snow then ice on it and lots of wildlife are going to suffer. We had to travel 50 miles for a family thing last Saturday and deer were still in fields pawing thru 12"-15" of snow to find food. Those shrub loving people who like rural living are going to find out before too long that deer love shrubs too. lol

I shot a buck one season and like I beagle when I went to pull the buck the antler fell off this was in November so It's my opinion that like people deer are different and have different physiologies so while most loose them later not all do.

Here in Iowa I have seen shed bucks as early as the end of December and antlered bucks as late as during turkey season in April. The majority have dropped by mid Feb.I do agree with you on early shedding this year, there were a very high number of one antlered and shed bucks during large muzzy season.
Also my experience.

I am in central Missouri and I have bucks that are still maintaining rubs. A few weeks ago a friend of mine found a shed antler just a few miles south of me.
I live in central MO too (just south of Kansas City) and noticed fresh rubs two days ago. The bucks on trail cams still have antlers.

We see alot of bucks that start to shed in late Dec. Got 2 on cam last week that still had both. I think its dependent on the specific deer honestly. I don't see many deer with antlers in Feb, but some still do. Found one dead many years ago the first week of april that still had both antlers. Have also seen 4" new antlers around that same time. I read somewhere it has to do with testosterone of the particular deer, could be.

My brother got his Iowa buck last month. Both antlers came off. One when he rolled it over right after shooting it. The other when we unloaded it from vehicle. I saw a few bucks with one antler in late December In Iowa.

Back