when hunting with a smoke pole

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
90% of the time I go behind the shoulder. I try to avoid ruining any meat. I also am fine with a strait on shot if thats my only option. There is one spot I hunt were I aim strait at the shoulder, it's right by a highway and close to a neighborhood and I don't want a wounded deer running by some animal right activists backyard.

It depends on what the shooting situation is. If the deer is able to run off into a thicket, then it s a high shoulder shot to break them down and plant them. If they are in an area a little tacking is not a problem, then I slide it behind the front shoulder at an angle to the other shoulder.

behind the shoulder most of the time but from time to time i like to just dump one right through both front shoulder blades.

Just behind the shoulder, blow up the heart. Ive taken higher shoulders if they walk to close under the stand or property line.

I pretty much stick to good broad sides or a very good quartering. I hate gutting a head on shot if it goes bad.

:D

I perfer the broad side double lung but sometimes it just isn't so. I've had to take the quartering away. 8)

shot

First killing shot offered, the perfect shot may not happen. Prefer tight behind shoulder in the middle up and down, broadside.
Wayles

Behind the shoulder double lung ..if i can't get a good shot i let it walk away ..and say to myself i was lucky to see a deer that day that is what hunting is all about enjoy the out of doors ..

The double lung when I can get it but if I want the deer to not move at all the high shoulder shot works well.

cayuga said:
It depends on what the shooting situation is. If the deer is able to run off into a thicket, then it s a high shoulder shot to break them down and plant them. If they are in an area a little tacking is not a problem, then I slide it behind the front shoulder at an angle to the other shoulder.

Bingo...

On a wallhanger - the first best shot!
Any other buck - top of the heart
On a doe - any shot that does not destroy meat

Shoulder shot no more

I tried shoulder shots with a 250 gr SST and 100grs T7 for one season for a draw Army Base Hunt here in Alberta Canada. I lost two muley's in two days. One doe and one 3x4 buck (not huge but meat is meat IMO). On the last day I shot very nice 5x5 whitetail but needed a finishing shot and slit throat. All shots were under 100yds with the w.t. buck @ a lasered 46yds.
I now strictly take behind the shoulder heart/lung shots if presented. If not I let them walk.

up close & personal on a "meat" shot, I'll hit em in the neck,....any distance or size to the animal, behind the shoulder is the place to go to wreck their boiler room.

Double lung behind the shoulder. I've shot em from all sorts of different angles and this is the one I prefer.

Latest posts

Back