When shooting for groups,......

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VLP.204

Reaction score
......do you hold the forend or do you use your hand to adjust the elevation by pinching the rear bag? I have tried it both ways and can't get any consistant groups using 300gr. XTP (non mag), 300gr. Barnes MZ using both 44,45gr. 5744 or 57 to 59 gr. N120. The first group I shot was 44 gr. 5744 and the 300 MZ at just over 1" then the next 2 groups would be 2 to 3" and that is in 50 degree temp. The next day I got a 1.3" 5 shot group using 58gr N120 and 300gr XTP and thought this was my load. The next 3 shots went to 3". All shots 5 min apart. The breech plug was cleaned after 15 shots. I even double checked to make sure that the screw on the front base was shortened properly. I use Fed 209A primers and my scope is a Leapold 2x7 shotgun scope with Warn quick change rings and steel Weaver bases. I removed the thimble from the barrel and made sure the barrel is not touching the stock when tighting down the stock bolts. The only thing I didn't try was a RW .33 vent liner. (which I just screwed in last night) Will the RW .33 vent liner make a difference? Help please. Thanks.

Just have to ask what sabot you are using ? sounds like you are letting the barrel cool down enough,but it sould be cool to the touch before reloading. tjreeves

Been there and done that, barrel cooling time is without a doubt the problem.

Latest posts

Back