Where do i find one of them ???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideshow

Reaction score
In Designing for Accuracy , Doc wrote that his shooting team used a "straight line starter" for starting the .001" over bore size 305gr bullets in his Varminter for the Manufacters Match at Freindship . Is this something that is readily available if you know where to look ? Is it a do it yourself tool made by you ? I am very much interested in such a device . Some guidance would be very much appreciated !!! ALSO i could use a source for someone to make breech plugs according to my blueprint . Had a brainstorm....Thank you !!!

I would email Doc and ask him at [email protected].
Thanks , i may have to do just that . I see Spin-jag makes one but it doesnt center the bore from the barrel o.d. . It also doesnt come smaller than a 45 cal tip . Be nice if it had the spining tip too which it doesnt for different caliber possibilities . Starting to look pretty well custom made only . I figured here on Modern Muzzleloader there may be some that shoot competitively witb knowledge of these loaders . I really want to tune in some "big lead" too . One chart i found says up to 460 gr is doable with1 in 16 twist . Thanks Ed .

Seems like the longer the bullet the less tempermental the 1 in 16 twist is on a .410 till you get to 1.58 in . Thats where pressure ,velocity and spin all meet up kinda at a "wall" so to speak. That puts me at 460 gr. or so . No penetration problems there lol !!! Its just not too fast . Id guess it doesnt have to be . About running out of wet newspaper !!!

Sounds like a basic short starter. CVA did make one in.32 caliber, I had one, not sure they still do.
I tried a basic starter and it made a MESS of my bullet . Who knows it could be me too . I got pretty frustrated trying to wrestle it in . I should probably give up and just try to make the bullets a tight slip fit . Just wanted to duplicate how Doc pre-grooved his bullets . Accuracy Nut right here .

I tried a basic starter and it made a MESS of my bullet . Who knows it could be me too . I got pretty frustrated trying to wrestle it in . I should probably give up and just try to make the bullets a tight slip fit . Just wanted to duplicate how Doc pre-grooved his bullets . Accuracy Nut right here .
White used to sell powerpunch bullets for target sized @ .412 . How did they ever get them in without that special starter ??? One had to be available !!!

All the conical bullets I have shot in White rifles .410 to .504 have been slip fit. I haven't needed a short starter, just thumb pressure to start.
Same for me till i started foolin around . I got with the gun 280 gr , 320 gr , and 400 gr powerpunches in the original tubes . About 350 bullets in all . That and the rifle with a 4x weaver in a soft case , everything pristine , for $150 . Happened to see it on a dealers table at a show while the owner was negotiateing for trade plus cash on a 300 Weatherby . The dealer offered him $100 bucks and said he didnt like to handle bp guns . The .410 serial no. is my birthday month and day . I waited till they were through and the dealer said to me "You know what youre lookin at dont ya boy" . Yes sir i do i said . He replyed " Give me a $150 and its all yours" . I paid the man , like Right Now !!! Ive changed the scope and rings to a 1x6 30mm lighted reticle with range estimation and fell in love with it . Named it too , Mighty Whitey , is on the butt stock in old english font . Its an absolute laser . I love my sabot loads , my non - White bp with the magspark ignition , and the ability to use blackhorn209 without blowback but i still want to use a heavy conical especially in the thick areas where i like to hunt in our late mz season . Any angle complete penetration is my goal for the grand dads chaseing 11/2 yr old doe then . Not so sure the 330 gr sabot will do it end to end on a big old buck , 300 plus lbs . So thats where im at . I also want to be able to feed the bullet through the thick stuff untouched if possible and drive it home . It shoots the 400 good now but i am always after better .

Same for me till i started foolin around . I got with the gun 280 gr , 320 gr , and 400 gr powerpunches in the original tubes . About 350 bullets in all . That and the rifle with a 4x weaver in a soft case , everything pristine , for $150 . Happened to see it on a dealers table at a show while the owner was negotiateing for trade plus cash on a 300 Weatherby . The dealer offered him $100 bucks and said he didnt like to handle bp guns . The .410 serial no. is my birthday month and day . I waited till they were through and the dealer said to me "You know what youre lookin at dont ya boy" . Yes sir i do i said . He replyed " Give me a $150 and its all yours" . I paid the man , like Right Now !!! Ive changed the scope and rings to a 1x6 30mm lighted reticle with range estimation and fell in love with it . Named it too , Mighty Whitey , is on the butt stock in old english font . Its an absolute laser . I love my sabot loads , my non - White bp with the magspark ignition , and the ability to use blackhorn209 without blowback but i still want to use a heavy conical especially in the thick areas where i like to hunt in our late mz season . Any angle complete penetration is my goal for the grand dads chaseing 11/2 yr old doe then . Not so sure the 330 gr sabot will do it end to end on a big old buck , 300 plus lbs . So thats where im at . I also want to be able to feed the bullet through the thick stuff untouched if possible and drive it home . It shoots the 400 good now but i am always after better .
Found a place that will make me a bp to my print on the sml site here .

All the conical bullets I have shot in White rifles .410 to .504 have been slip fit. I haven't needed a short starter, just thumb pressure to start.
Hey toytruck what do you use for complete end to end penetrarion on big 300+ lb deer ? Will a 451 with a 460 gr do it ? Am talking Texas heart shot end to end penetration . Doc said the 200yd . energy is similar for a 460gr 451 and a 400gr 410 . Dont know how that translates up close though .

Last edited:
Hey toytruck what do you use for complete end to end penetrarion on big 300+ lb deer ? Will a 451 with a 460 gr do it ? Am talking Texas heart shot end to end penetration .
Doc said the 200 yd energy is similar for the 45 460gr and the 410 400gr. .tried to erase this one......

Last edited:
480gr. Bullshop in .451, 490gr. Batchief trashcan in.504. I shoot them in the front or behind shoulders when possible.
Never from behind!!
I have only recovered one .451 bullshop after hitting neck spine an ribs.

480gr. Bullshop in .451, 490gr. Batchief trashcan in.504. I shoot them in the front or behind shoulders when possible.
Never from behind!!
I have only recovered one .451 bullshop after hitting neck spine an ribs.
Nice !!! Guess i need to realize it isnt my 535 gr 54 to do stuff like i used to do . Its not a good shot to normally take . I did on a 8pt years ago that was running straight away after busting me . It did make quit the mess , but it did go all the way tbrough at 50 yds and i did get him. Im gonna miss that short range power of the 54 . Do you ever hunt with a 410 ??? If not who does on DWBs ??? Seems like everbody is into the 451 first choice , then the 504 secondly . Doc says the 410 is fine for elk too . Whats a guy to think ???

Last edited:
Yes, 451 is my deer killer. 410 is not legal caliber in muzzleloader in VA. I had a.410 whitetail, but sold it for that reason.
I didnt know that it wasnt legal there . Well damn , if thats why I understand . Sucks though . I bet it was a nice one too .

I know my one grandson shot a doe head on with my 451 465gr conical using 70gr of 777-3F. Found the bullet just under the skin between her legs near her ass. I think that was plenty of penetration?
Thats beautiful !!! That informattion is exactly what i was looking for !!! Congrats to you Ed for making it possible and congrats to him for a job well done !!! A deer camp with deer hanging is a happy one !!! If i can penetrate like that with a 410 I'll be satisfied . Deer , especially bucks , many times wont give a perfect poseing shot opportunity . Bucks barely stop moving it seems to me !!! I worry about enough penetration alot , even though Doc says a 410 hits harder than a 180gr 30-06 till 150 yds . I really needed to hear that Ed, thank you !!!

Thanks , i may have to do just that . I see Spin-jag makes one but it doesnt center the bore from the barrel o.d. . It also doesnt come smaller than a 45 cal tip . Be nice if it had the spining tip too which it doesnt for different caliber possibilities . Starting to look pretty well custom made only . I figured here on Modern Muzzleloader there may be some that shoot competitively witb knowledge of these loaders . I really want to tune in some "big lead" too . One chart i found says up to 460 gr is doable with1 in 16 twist . Thanks Ed .
http://www.hanksprecisiongunparts.com has a spin jag style for the pittmans that looks like it may be small enough for your .410.

Latest posts

Back