Where to start?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowotter

Reaction score
Hello everyone-

I know essentially nothing about muzzleloaders, but I think I'd like to get started with them. Basically, I'm looking to expand my deer season when possible. Unfortunately, none of my buddies use muzzleloaders, so I'm left to look around here...

Where do I start? I've looked around here for awhile, but honestly, I'm not sure what I'm looking at or what I need to be looking for (in terms of figuring out what gun to start with). I'm trying to figure out what specs/options would be most important for me, but I am a bit lost... Are there any info sheets that will lay it all out?

I'd like to get a few of the basics under my belt before I start to figure which gun I want... Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I truly need to start from the gound up, so any info besides the typical knowledge I'd gain from centerfire rifles would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

First let me say welome,I'am pretty new to this front-loader stuff myself.I have found a good answer(at least to me)to every question I have had from the folks on this site.There is a wealth of knowledge here as well as a lot of common sense.I would first check the regulations in the state that you live in to see what's legal and whats not ie.black powder or smokeless,open sites or scopes,magnification limits if scopes are allowed ect.The rules should give you an idea of what to look for in a gun.I think for deer sized game most would recomend going with a .50 cal as components can be found almost anywhere and they seem to be accurate enough,with some being extreamly good.Another thing to look at is how much you want to spend.A good muzzleloader w/optics and accessories is about the same as a middle of the road bolt gun so keep that in mind.Someone posted a topic a while back on what they felt was needed to get started in black powder shooting and it was helpfull to me,if someone remembers the thread maybe they can post the link.If can't find what your looking for by just scanning the threads just ask,everyone here seems willing to help. :D

Hello rowotter,
Welcome to the forum!

I guess the first place to start is with a good, quality muzzleloader. Those by Thompson/Center and Knight are generally considered to be among the best, and those are the ones I recommend. I guess some things to think about are:

1. Are you going to use a scope or rely on the rifles open sights?

2. What is the range you generally hunt? How long is the typical shot you make?

3. Are you shorter, taller, or average height?

4. How much do you intend on spending?

We'll point you in the right direction!

Thanks for the welcome and replies!

big6x6 said:
1. Are you going to use a scope or rely on the rifles open sights?

Doesn't really matter. In the states I'm most likely to hunt, there are no restrictions. However, I do like the idea of iron/fiber optic sights and do not intend to spend a lot on a scope. I might be able to swap with scope I'm currently using on a .270 though...

2. What is the range you generally hunt? How long is the typical shot you make?

This will mostly be southeastern US hunting with a few jaunts up to the midwest. So, it's doubtful that any shot will exceed 100-150yds.

3. Are you shorter, taller, or average height?

Average height, large frame. What will this influence?

4. How much do you intend on spending?

I'm hoping to get away with everything I need for under $500, but that can bend if necessary. I'm definitely willing to spend more in areas of the setup that require it. Basically, I'm looking to spend as little as possible without regreting it once I learn more about the guns... :)

Thanks for the help!

I would recommend a T/C Omega. They aren't too expensive depending on what type of stock and finish you like. They are a great gun. You can get one for under $300 at Walmart I think.
I have a T/C Encore which at about $500 or so. I love it, but be warned they are addicting!! There are probalby 15-20 different caliber barrels you can get for an Encore frame. I look at my Encore like a bolt action when I have a rifle barrel on it, it takes about the same amount of time for me to chamber another round.
If money is no object buy the new T/C ProHunter. They have made some nice improvements to the original Encore with this one. Some day I'll have one. I have a Prohunter rifle barrel on order right now.
Anyway you have to look at the amount of time you are actually going to be able to hunt with it. I use mine in the "southern shotgun zone", so I use mine a little more often. I'd rather have more range than extra slugs in the tube.
As you can see I am partial to T/C. With time, practice, and experimenting with bullets and powder loads you can get just about any muzzleloader to shoot. I've been shooting muzzleladers for about 10 years now. When I first started I couldn't believe how accurate they were. 10 years later they are even better!
I would go with Triple 7 powder because it's cleaner than Pryrodex.They also have Triple 7 primers which I plan on trying soon.
Let us know what you buy. There are plenty of guys that will help you out with load suggestions once you get a gun.

Mike

I would recommend a T/C Omega.

Certainly not a bad choice at all. I'd probably recommend the Omega, Knight Wolverine 209, or even a Knight Disc Extreme if you can find one at a good price. Knight muzzleloader generally have about an inch longer length of pull over the Omega. So a larger-framed person might feel more at home shooting one of those..

Since you are just starting out, I'd go the with Omega, If you feel like you can afford stainless, that's what I'd get. If not, a blue gun will be fine. For bases/rings..get the T/C Maxima QD:

Base:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000307429

Rings:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00223201LM

Bullets:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000308238

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000367272

For scopes...keep the length around 11 inches or less and you'll be able to leave the rear sight on. Anything longer and off it goes. A Leupold VX-
I 2-7 or VX-II 2-7 fits this criceria and offers more than adequate w/e adjustment as well.

Accessories you'd probably need include a "range rod" but I could't find one at midsouth. You'd use that for swabbing between shots, during clean-up, and when you do a uh-oh such as forgetting to load powder! You'll also want one of the "see-thru" volumetric powder mearsures offered by several different companies..

As far as propellants go...loose powder is inexpensive and accurate. I'd start with Triple Se7en ffg. I've used a pile of it and it is user firendly. 209 Primers..you may really use whatever your local store has on had.

Hope this helps....Let us know if you need more info!

Back