Where's the ammunition?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own a gun shop and hear the rumors every day. Like everyone else I’ve lived through these scares before and I keep trying to explain to people this very thing. Supplies simply can’t keep up with the demand when people are hoarding ammo. I tell them to just look at the toilet paper situation and they finally start getting the picture.

Its a self-fulfilling prophecy. Worry that there will be a shortage+hoarding ammo=ammo shortage. In a year or 2 when some folks need money and realize there is plenty around they will be selling off some of their stock. I have been able to buy lots of 9mm in the past from friends who hoarded it, then switched to 40 or 10mm or 45 and needed $ to buy more of that.

No mention of any delivery, they are just making them. A simple video with very little detail.

I'd rather see a spreadsheet showing their 2019 vs 2020 production stats.

Not sure if it's ok to post links like this, but search: Bullets by the billions Chrysler WW2 ammunition production

No mention of any delivery, they are just making them. A simple video with very little detail.
No modern company has the room to store excess production. It's being shipped! New buyers and your fellow shooters / profiteers are buying everything as soon as it hits the shelves, often much more than they need. Outdoorsman1 put it in perfect perspective when he referred to the toilet paper shortage.

I can still get ammo at most retailers in the twin cities. Some stores are sold out. Guess it's worse in some states that others

To answer the Thread Topic, In your Neighbors basement, and his Neighbors

I once spoke to a fella that worked at CCi, This was in the Obama Era when you couldn’t find any ammo. The CCi worker told me that they were Cranking out more ammo than they ever had, Working double shifts and Stil couldn’t keep up. It’s people Hoarding it up, Just like they did with Toilet Paper in this Coronavirus deal.

I met a guy during the Obama shortage that said he didn't have a closet full of ammo, he had a room full. Must be nice to have that kind of disposable income. I keep a stock, because they seem to run out of muzzleloader supplies during muzzleloader season here in NM. Cabela's here in Albuquerque has a 10 foot shelf of muzzleloader products. Pathetic. I also buy toilet paper in the biggest packages at Walmart because they are the cheapest, so I was stocked up when the shortage happened. On a backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon when everyone but me got the runs, I joked about selling it for $1/sheet. They were almost that desperate.

Every presidential election cycle ammo gets a little scarce. Add to that a pandemic and some causes that I won't go into people will buy and hoard or buy to profit. It might take six months or a year but things will get back to normal.

To answer the Thread Topic, In your Neighbors basement, and his Neighbors

I once spoke to a fella that worked at CCi, This was in the Obama Era when you couldn’t find any ammo. The CCi worker told me that they were Cranking out more ammo than they ever had, Working double shifts and Stil couldn’t keep up. It’s people Hoarding it up, Just like they did with Toilet Paper in this Coronavirus deal.

This is exactly right. They are making and shipping it out as fast as they can, as they want to make tons of $$$.
CCI/Speer is a very "Toyota Way/Lean Manufacturing" oriented company. If you know anything about lean manufacturing you know that they make product when they have orders for it (ZERO issue with that right now), are very "right the first time" oriented, and absolutely HATE to see product sit around on their shelves. They do keep a slight buffer stock for components to try to ensure they always have some when needed, but it is as low as possible.

The problem we are seeing as muzzleloaders is demand. Ammo companies' orders for modern and popular ammo such as 9mm & 45 ACP are through the roof. I bet they are back ordered over a year for some popular brands right now. They are going to have every available machine making that type of ammo.
Muzzleloader stuff is very low demand in comparison. Take round balls for example. Speer runs them maybe once a year. That's it. A few weeks once a year to meet order demand. To run it they have to clear out a set of Melt and Pour Pots, clean/scrape them, and then refill with soft lead. Very little other product requires soft lead. Doing this creates about 24 hours of down time for that set of lead pots, then going back to a more common antimony is another 24 hours.
They are not going to pull off a product that is back ordered a whole year just to make a product that maybe 5 Vendors are asking for.

Took 3 trips to Costco to get paper towels. Took 5 to get Clorox wipes. Got lucky yesterday, a fork lift was bringing pallets of paper towels in just as i was about to give up.

We had ammo and rifle purchases banned briefly during the pandemic as did the other couple of leftist controlled states, but after it reversed things went back to normal with no shortages other than the inability to import much to Australia owing to the demand in the US.

The same cannot be said for toilet paper, meat, tinned food, hand sanitiser, pasta etc. And we went through multiple lockdowns and each time people went crazy. Another state recently went into lockdown from an outbreak and the toilet paper thing started again.

Confirmed a truth I've always held, you can't fix stupid.

Ive got a buddy who has over 14,000 rounds of .22, 100,000 rounds of .223 and 15-20,000 rounds of shotgun ammo and he doesnt shoot at all:(
I have customers like that. I ask them why? They say cause they’s a war a comin. I say you maybe right but you won’t be around because your next door neighbor that knows you are hoarding ammo will shoot you between the eyes with his pellet rifle and walk over and get all your thousands of rounds. Actually had one guy run out of the store to go buy pvc pipe to go start burying ammo!😂

Back