Which is better 18 or 20 twist rate

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand the question was 1:18 or 1:20? Answer: 1:18 ;)

However, my 1:19 WILL shoot any bullet I put down the pipe, especially at 100yds. Now a sabot? WHAT THE HECK IS THAT???? I don't shoot sabots in a custom rifle. Won't happen. Case Closed.

At 100yds, I'm thinking it'll group a marble accurately. It shoots Pittman, Parker, Arrowhead and Fury bullets extremely accurate, rather its using BH209 or SML. I've shot all the Fury bullets, even tested bullets that no one has seen for Dennis. If I have a good day, its one hole, regardless of the bullet.
Doesn't matter rather its a 275gr, 300, 325, or 350gr bullet, they all group tight. When the Atacr gets here, I'll be shooting those 400gr bullets.

For the record, I haven't shot with the muzzle brake on the rifle in well over a year. They don't allow muzzle brakes in 1,000yd matches, and, only 120grs VOLUME of BH. The 1:18 will not outshoot my 1:19 at long range.

So.......... will we be shooting off a bipod and ONLY OFF THE SHOULDER, or will a rear rest be allowed? Once we get through at 100yds, lets go directly to 500yds, or even 600yds with our bullets of choice ;)

We can go to five or 600 yards but those have to be plastic loads only, again I know what bore riders can do I've had a couple of them that Ray Charles could shoot a half inch group with,, I'm very settled on this, it's from shooting a bunch of guns and a bunch of bullets not one gun,, Encore I know you're gun is phenomenal, and I know you're a great shooter ,I also know the potential of a good 18 twist barrel,it can do more than a 20 can

We can go to five or 600 yards but those have to be plastic loads only, again I know what bore riders can do I've had a couple of them that Ray Charles could shoot a half inch group with,, I'm very settled on this, it's from shooting a bunch of guns and a bunch of bullets not one gun,, Encore I know you're gun is phenomenal, and I know you're a great shooter ,I also know the potential of a good 18 twist barrel,it can do more than a 20 can
I agree on the 1:18. But one has to also consider that there are 50cal rifles with 1:26 twists that are extremely accurate, both with and without sabots. There are guys shooting the Ultimate and RUM's that are getting unbelievable groups and accuracy with 1:26 twists. Most of those rifles have the upgraded Arrowhead ignition system.
Some of the groups that I shot with PELLETS, 300gr SST's and the OEM ignition out of my 1:26 BP Xpress were phenomenal IMO.

For instance:

IMG_0263a.JPG

My VERY FIRST ATTEMPT EVER at shooting 500yds. Target was witnessed and signed.

IMG_0146.JPG

Sorry, im not talking smokeless at all. I thought this was black powder and substitutes. I thought there was a smokeless forum?? My bad!!

I agree on the 1:18. But one has to also consider that there are 50cal rifles with 1:26 twists that are extremely accurate, both with and without sabots. There are guys shooting the Ultimate and RUM's that are getting unbelievable groups and accuracy with 1:26 twists. Most of those rifles have the upgraded Arrowhead ignition system.
Some of the groups that I shot with PELLETS, 300gr SST's and the OEM ignition out of my 1:26 BP Xpress were phenomenal IMO.

For instance:

View attachment 35783

My VERY FIRST ATTEMPT EVER at shooting 500yds. Target was witnessed and signed.

View attachment 35782

If you're shooting full bore bullets in a 45 you can use a 22 or even a 24 twist as it's the length of the bullet that determines the twist you need. Full bore bullets are fatter so they are shorter for the same weight than bullets launched in a sabot. If you're shooting 40 cal bullets in a sabot the 18 twist is king. Although I never tried it, I believe twists faster than 18 would stress a sabot. The 18 twist was my go-to in the rifles I've built and would always shoot MOA to 200 yds. My last build used a 22 twist (McGowan had a sale) and the groups were double the size of the 18 twist at every range. I shoot 40 cal bullets in 240 gr (FURY) and 200 gr (HORN XTP) with Harvester blue sabots.

I do agree with alternate you can use a 22 and even a 24 to shoot full bore but I'm telling you had I only stuck to the bullet length and spin charts I would never have fully investigated and shot the 18 twist as much as I have,, what I have found shooting numerous 18 twists and many many bullets is that when it comes to quarter inch and last five shot groups the 18 does it with more bullets from 250 to 400 grain and I'm only talking jacketed then the other twist do in my shooting experience the twenties and the 22s really did well with the 250s to the 300 grains once I got above 300 grains my quarter inch groups were gone I could shoot less than an inch all day which for me is not acceptable I could not put bullets in a hole when I started board riding with the 18 twist I found a charge and a load for every single bullet from 250 to the 400 grain Furies in Northern precisions that I could put all of those bullets in quarter inch or less groups and multiple rifles it's not that I didn't find accuracy in the other twist I did not find it as much across the board I'm a very hard-headed patient shooter all of these rifles have hammered these results to me not just one or two guns in all of these rifles,brux Barrels Krieger barrels and McGowan.,,, on the top of that bullet Lynx versus twist chart it should say in Big Red Letters this the 18 does it all

I do agree with alternate you can use a 22 and even a 24 to shoot full bore but I'm telling you had I only stuck to the bullet length and spin charts I would never have fully investigated and shot the 18 twist as much as I have,, what I have found shooting numerous 18 twists and many many bullets is that when it comes to quarter inch and last five shot groups the 18 does it with more bullets from 250 to 400 grain and I'm only talking jacketed then the other twist do in my shooting experience the twenties and the 22s really did well with the 250s to the 300 grains once I got above 300 grains my quarter inch groups were gone I could shoot less than an inch all day which for me is not acceptable I could not put bullets in a hole when I started board riding with the 18 twist I found a charge and a load for every single bullet from 250 to the 400 grain Furies in Northern precisions that I could put all of those bullets in quarter inch or less groups and multiple rifles it's not that I didn't find accuracy in the other twist I did not find it as much across the board I'm a very hard-headed patient shooter all of these rifles have hammered these results to me not just one or two guns in all of these rifles,brux Barrels Krieger barrels and McGowan.,,, on the top of that bullet Lynx versus twist chart it should say in Big Red Letters this the 18 does it all
I agree with you 100% Mnt Monkey. I wasn't implying you NEED 22 or 24 twist for full bore bullets but merely that you can get away with it whereas you can't get away with it if you're using sabots. The 18 twist will do it ALL in 45 caliber, sabot or full bore, light or heavy. I curse the day that I bought that 22 twist blank. I often think of changing it out but I've got so much time into it. Tapering, crowning, see-thru mounts, front sight, rear sight plus the all the threading for plug, ect. It still shoots 2 MOA, plenty for deer where I hunt here in Ct, but every time I pull the trigger I know the 18 twist would have been better. ugh!

That all depends on what bullet and charge you are using. A general rule of thumb is the heavier and longer bullet you use the more twist rate you need to stabilize that bullet. If you buy from a reputable seller and you tell them what you want to shoot in terms of bullet and charge, they should be able to give you an educated and accurate answer.

I have two 1:20 twist SML and one with a 1:18. I have shot hundreds of round in them. I can honestly say that I think the 1:18 is the most versatile. I can shoot 300 grn bore riders or anything that will fit in a light blue sabot and it shoots them all. Most importantly it shoots them all really good.

Back