Which JB bore product?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The red product label is very fine. The blue label is what I use and is slightly more aggressive. These products won't harm your barrel but will do a nice job of cleaning one up.

If you really want to do the best with the bore paste go to Brownells and get some .50 cal felt pellets. You can also get the rod adapter. Set it up so that the adapter can spin freely on the rod like a spinjag. Don't compress the pellet too much or you'll just end up pushing the paste around. Leave a little room between the pellet and bore so that the paste works in really well. You will also need a much smaller diameter rod iirc. Yes. Use it with Kroil. They also make pellets for .44-45 cal.

Besides using it on the bore, I have used it on the action of a couple rifles. Definitely makes a difference

I never heard of it being used anywhere but the bore.

I have a related question. How does WD-40 compare to Kroil. I've never seen Kroil on a retailer's shelf in this area. In fact, I've never seen JB Cleaning Compound for sale either. That seems odd because JB Weld is on retailers' shelves and in every home garage.

I've tried some felt pellets but they come off the special jag when I reverse direction. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but they seem to only good for pushing, not pulling.

I've tried some felt pellets but they come off the special jag when I reverse direction. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but they seem to only good for pushing, not pulling.
Do you have the small screw that goes on the end after you put the pellet on? The screw should hold in on when you pull the rod.

No I don't. I didn't get one with it. I have the Tipton setup and pellets, maybe another brand comes with that.

I never heard of it being used anywhere but the bore.
Yes it will slick up an action. Just worked on a Ruger American, bolt was terrible. I put JB paste on it and worked the bolt a couple hundred times, it really slicked up, but be sure to clean a relube that action

On the bore use a cleaning rod with a nylon brush, take 1-1/2" or 2" cotton patches that you smeared the JB on one side. 25 passes, another one.. 100 passes total. Clean the bore than use the other JB finish for 25 passes x4. Then thoroughly clean.
It will shine like a mirror and either improve or restore accuracy.
Do a Couple of fouling primers and go kill something.

The problem is that when you reverse direction there's nothing to hold the pellets on the adapter.
The front one is supposed to pull off at the bottom of the bore when you pull it out. The back pellet will stay on the larger ribs or threads and apply a coat if oil as its pulled out. They're designed for CF guns so the front pellet can be extracted in the breech. I think that if you get the 3 pellet version and just put on the 2 pellets they will both stay in place when you pull out the rod.
From the Brownells listing
“Innovative and efficient system cleans rifle and handgun barrels with a minimum of effort and mess. Slip two felt pellets on the cleaning rod adapter, apply your favorite solvent and push through the bore to rapidly scrub out dirt and fouling. Pellets fit snugly to easily follow the rifling for fast, efficient cleaning; as you withdraw the rod, the front pellet falls off while the rear pellet polishes the bore. Lets you apply oil, cleaning solvents, J-B® Bore Cleaner or Moly Bore Paste easily with minimal mess. Plain pellets are made from a highly absorbent, hardened felt; Super Intensive pellets also have interwoven brass fibers for even greater scrubbing action to quickly clean heavily fouled barrels. All require cleaning rod adapter.”

Last edited:
If you buy the one I mentioned above and use .45 cal pellets, they “screw” onto the jag and do not come off. You literally have to screw them back off. They fit very tightly.

Latest posts

Back