Which oil to use on my muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of good suggestions guys, the big thing is your doing what needs to be done, good post. :thumbs up:

Been using breakfree on all my firearms for years. No rust. On muzzleloaders i shoot a couple primer off before loading. I carry a saturated shop rag in a zip lock bag so when i come out of the field i give the firearm a wipe down. Works for me.

That's always a good idea. Mine get handled and checked a lot.
I enjoy your posts Hanshi, you make a lot of good sense on both sites. I think what you say about handling your guns often is something that many of us fall down on. When I was in my younger years, is seemed more important and I, like many, didn't carried this on through into advanced old age. I hate to admit it, but I own guns that haven't been shot for 25 years. I Keep them stored fairly well, fact is, It's very dry, they get some ventilation so I do hope that everything is okay. I just gave one of my daughters a pistol that I hadn't shot since I've owned it and it's been 41 years. I actually hope to dispose of more my guns to my offsprings. Discovered quite a few years ago, I only shoot one at a time.
Squint

For storage, the best thing I found was Rig silicone grease. I still use it on ML when out in the weather. Works great for barrels in storage. I don't use it on anything that moves.

I don't think I ever heard of Froglube until this thread. I did some searching and found this discussion. Draw your own conclusions. Frog Lube is Coconut Oil - You heard it here first

For storage, the best thing I found was Rig silicone grease. I still use it on ML when out in the weather. Works great for barrels in storage. I don't use it on anything that moves.

I heartily agree on the Rig grease.

My take on the corrosion test combined with the froglube GC result makes me wonder what plain coconut oil at 1/5 the price would do.

Ive used tge frog lube before years ago. Greatly over priced, doesnt work well as a patch lube and for external protection, its a greasy mess which attracts dirt and dust.

My take on the corrosion test combined with the froglube GC result makes me wonder what plain coconut oil at 1/5 the price would do.
It would go rancid and make whatever you put it on really odiferous.

Clean with Rusty Duck
Wipe with Hoppes 9
Preserve with fine gun oil
done & done
😬

Clean with Rusty Duck
Wipe with Hoppes 9
Preserve with fine gun oil
done & done
😬
How do you get a duck down your bore? Must be a very small duck. o_O :D

I used to use Breakfree CLP. Then, during a yearly checkup of my firearms, I found rust. Fortunately, it was light and on the surface. A little very fine steel wool removed all the rust from an 1851 Navy, 1858 Remington, Ruger Blackhawk and in the receiver of an AR15.
I applied Eezox for a while then moved to Barricade. No more problems since the change.

It's a great black powder cleaner.
Works great with substitutes too.
Try it, you'll like it.
....just ducky!
Rusty Duck

Rusty duck is going on the shopping list.

As others have mentioned, I tend to stick to CLP, Rem Oil spray can, Outers spray can.

Back