Which one?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcp

Reaction score
I've had an itch to get a sidelock. Thinking about the Lyman GPH, Lyman Deerstalker, or TC Renegade in .50 caplock.

I'm sure alot of you have these...looking for feedback, and/or pros and cons. I'll probably hunt with it some, but it will be hard to put down my Knights.

Right now...I'm leaning towards the GPH. Honestly, not even sure why. I know I'd be happy with any...would just like to have a sidelock in the collection. Especially given the fact that you can hardly find anyone making them anymore - which is a shame.

Thanks in advance :D

If this is one of the first sidelocks... I would not choose the Great Plains Hunter. Instead I would choose the Great Plains Rifle. The GPH has a 1-32 twist and shoots conicals and sabots. And it is fussy. Also it seems to like 80 grains of powder. If you have inlines shoot the sabots out of them. Have some fun and shoot a roundball for a change. Get a GPR in .54 caliber. They have a 1-60 twist, are deadly accurate, and with the .54 caliber ball a very good hunting and target weapon. If you want real fun, get it in a flintlock. You will fall in love with it and soon that is all you will want to shoot. Although for someone new to sidelocks, the percussion is easier to figure out.

The Deerstalker is a great rifle. Shorter then the GPH, accurate, and easy to shoot. Also with the 1-48 twist you can shoot anything.. roundball, conical, even sabots. A real good rifle.

The Renegade in .50 caliber is a good meat and potatoes rifle. BUT you might find it likes one thing.. such as roundball, or conical or even sabots. Also a lot of people do not like the sights. I dislike them so much, I scoped my Renegades for the most part. Also the only Renegade you will be getting is USED. Some people shy away from used rifles. It handles well, and points nice. And is a good hunting and range gun. So yes the choice is hard.

You might want to consider a Lyman Trade Rifle. I have a .50 and a .54 caliber. Both in Flintlock. Just an excellent rifle to shoot and hunt with. Also new they are not going to break the bank.

I'd go with a TC Hawken. If you do some looking around you should be able to find a real nice used rifle for less than $400 with around $300 being more like it. Have heard of some lucky guys finding a deal at well below $200. I prefer a TC Hawken without the QLA on the barrel. The QLA is more for shooting conicals and even then I prefer it not be on the barrel. Green Mountain makes some drop in replacement barrels that fit the TC Hawken as a later on option if you like.

I recently acquired a Lyman Great Plains rifle, .50 cal flintlock. I am pleased with how it shoots so far.

I have several custom flintlocks, and wanted a production gun as a loaner or teaching rifle. A couple years ago, a friend of mine got a Lyman Deerstalker flintlock. I was impressed with how reliably it fired. So, I decided to get the GPR.

So far, I'm shooting a .490 roundball with 90 gr Goex 3f. I put a set of Williams fiber optic sights on it, which helps my old eyes see the sights.

I've owned TC flinters, and the frizzens are poorly hardened. With a re-hardened frizzen, they work OK. Accuracy is good as well.

The secret with traditional muzzleloaders is to shoot them a lot. The more they're shot, the better they'll shoot. There is a definite break-in period for the barrel.

Latest posts

Back